Schindler's List

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tiredteacher, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tiredteacher

tiredteacher Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

I was wondering what everyone thought about showing this movie to 8th graders. I sent notes home informing parents that I am going to show this film. I already have permission from my principle to show this but now I am having second thoughts. Any suggestions?

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 30, 2008

I showed it to 8th graders; most of them had seen it before. Nobody was traumatized, except ideally so. The little red coat was what affected them the most.

If you've got all your permissions in order, go for it.

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Apr 30, 2008

I would show parts but not the whole movie. First, it is a long movie and, second, there are parts in there that I would not want my child to watch.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 30, 2008

I'd second the idea of not showing the entire movie. There are some parts, like the sex scene, that aren't appropriate for school.

I've never shown it to middle schoolers, but I did show it to 12th graders. I had 2 who were 17 and the rest were 18. I didn't have to get any parental permission for mine.

6. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

May 8, 2008

I had the same idea for my 8th graders and changed my mind when I reviewed the movie and saw the sex scene so early in the movie. Our principal believes that the kids have already seen that, and more!, and she advised me to go ahead and show it, but I didn't. Given the time, I would go through the movie again and choose just some sections to show.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 11, 2008

This is an extremely powerful movie, and I think that the sex scene at the begining, while not ideal, isn't something that would make it a deal breaker for me. I think its important for kids to see movies like this because of how accurately it portrays the pain and devistation the holocaust created. I don't like the idea of only showing parts of the movie..that would loose the impact of the entire story. I do think, however, for this age group, a permission slip should be sent home.

8. dipzinskie

dipzinskie New Member

May 14, 2008

I am currently showing my 8th grade students Schindler's List. I sent home permission slips but our media center is amazing. They were able to order an editted version of the film. It has been editted similar to PG. The film is still just as powerful. The company that did the editing is

goodmoviesonline.com

Hope that helps.