Scheduling

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bam451, Oct 27, 2005.

1. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005

I was sitting here thinking about all of the stuff I wish I could do in my classroom if I didn't have to follow our strict curriculum set by our district. I teach 2nd grade. I was wondering how much time you spend each day on each subject. I would really be curious if anyone teacher with a block schedule.

Thanks!

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2005

Language arts-almost the entire morning. This includes reading, writing, spelling, grammar, and handwriting. About 2 1/2 hours.

Math - 40-45 minutes
    Science & Social studies - about 40-45 minutes every other day.

I try to stick with this but it is not always possible.

4. NCP

NCP Comrade

Oct 27, 2005

This is so funny, because I have been thinking of this same thing all week and trying to figure out a way to deliver the curriculum in a better manner. So right know here is my schedule:
    Math 1 hour and 10 minutes, plus a 15 minute number talk later in the day
    Writing: 45 minutes of instructional time
    Reading: 1 and a half hours
    Science/Social Studies: 30-40 minutes depending on the activity or lesson

I wish I had a 2 hour + block of time to instruct reading. I also teach second grade and am dealing with a really choppy schedule. Best of luck to you and I hope this helps.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 27, 2005

Daily:
    Science/Social Studies:20-40 min.
    Math: 1hr. & 20 min.
    Reading:1hr. & 30 min.
    Writing:1hr; 1hr. & 20 min(every Th.)
    Read-Aloud/Reading Appreciation: 20 min.
    In-class remediation: 20 min.

6. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Oct 27, 2005

I teach 1st grade, and we have a strict schedule to adhere to. It's easier for me to list each individual thing instead of adding it up (it's been a long day.)
    This is my schedule for Mon,Tues,Wed, & Fri.
    7:55-8:05 Familiar Reading
    8:05-8:45 Special Class
    8:45-8:55 Familiar Reading
    8:55-9:15 Shared Reading
    9:15-9:45 Phonics
    9:45-10:00 Read Aloud
    10:00-10:30 Writing
    10:30-12:00 Guided Reading
    12:00-12:50 Lunch/Recess
    12:50-2:15 Math
    2:15-2:45 Interventions
    2:45-2:55 Prepare for home
    On Thursday I do Math in the morning and I don't do Shared Reading, Phonics, or Guided Reading. I do science, social studies, and AR history on this day. I love my Thursdays because I can go with the flow. I don't have to worry about someone coming in my room and I'm not doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing because I had to spend a little extra time on something. Anyway, I'm not going to get into that because I could talk all night about that.

7. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Oct 29, 2005

Its' funny you posted this. I have been thinking for the past few weeks (since my schedule changed) about my new schedule. I am very unhappy with it. I am frustrated because I am not getting thru half of what I plan. :( I feel I am doing a disservice to my students.

Here's my new schedule:
    8:50-10 Come in, Morning routine (unpacking), announcements, pledge, moment of silence, DEclaration of Indep., STar Spangled Banner, Reading
    10-11 Writing, Grammary, Spelling,
    11:05-12:35 Specials & Lunch
    12:35-2:10 Math (although by the time we get in & get drinks we start math at around 12:50)
    2:10-3:20 Science or Social STudies (although I have an EL child who is pulled for 1:45-2:30 everyday...not sure what I'm gonna do cuz she's going to miss half of S.S. & she' cant read it by herself. I don't know when I'm gonna sit with her. Ugh!)

I used to do every other day reading, and writing (alternating) I was able to get in 1.5 hours of one or the other plus 30 min. or so of Speling. Now, I don't even do spelling in class anymore. Its all homework. I can't teach Writing 1st cuz my honor student goes to reading at 9 so I'm stuck teaching until 10:00 cuz then he comes back & I have to teach him Writing.

Oh well. Gotta be flexible right! :)

Tina

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

bina, I am so in touch with your frustration. I have posted about this before and my situation is really ridiculous. I have less time than you have. I've been flexible for years now and I think I am ready to move on to another school where they value academics.

9. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 29, 2005

Daily,
    8:15-8:45 Calendar time
    8:45-9:35 Reading (time is spent on story and comprehension and other activities related to the story)
    9:35-10:05 Special (gym or music)
    10:05-10:35 Spelling
    10:35-11:15 Math
    11:15-12:00 Lunch and Recess
    12:00-12:35 Silent Reading (This is the time that my Title I kids go for their extra phonics instruction the rest of the class is reading by themselves and then to me or taking AR quizzes)
    12:35-1:05 Whole class phonics instruction
    1:05-1:30 Social Studies or science
    1:30-1:45 recess
    1:45-2:30 (Writing activities on Tuesday and Thursday) (Art on Monday and Wednesday) (project to fit theme on Friday)
    2:30-3:10 Centers
    3:10 ready for home

10. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Oct 29, 2005

Wow! You sure do have a packed schedule!! :) Your schedule gave me an idea though. I have a little girl who goes to EL in the afternoon for 45 min. Well this time is part of math & part of Science (or Social Studies...I split my qurarters in half for this subject) She can not make up any work missed most of the time becuase she can't do anything independently. I have to read most things to her everyda! This is another reason why I'm frustrated. I never get a chance to sit, get work done, etc.

Anyhow, maybe I will do an extra period of silent reading/Reading Counts quizzes/one on one help during this time. When she comes back though, I have 45 min. to teach SS(or Science depending on what I'm doing at that time in the qtr) I could even start SS/Sci. a few min. early because I could catch her up a little.

Thanks for your response!

I am sorry about your schedule. Would you be able to bump up your whole class phonics to while the Title 1 kids do their phonis? Or are they getting remedial help at the 12:00 hour & then getting on grade level instruction during the whole class phonics time? You could also take out center work once or twice a week to do an extra reading/writing lesson. I am not sure what you are mandated to do though.

Well good luck to you. I have been at 2 different schools & my schedules have not been the best at both. :( The grass isn't always greener on theother side. :) There are some better things at this new school, & not so better things. You are doing a great job of scheduling in everything where you are at though! :)

Take care,

Tina

11. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 29, 2005

:) I love my schedule this year!

Yeah it looks packed, but I'm finding it flows nicely. The Title I kids are getting remedial help, but once in a while I start phonic with the other kids before they come back and like you said it's easy to catch them up. I also wrote my own spelling program so it's very closely linked to the reading story of the week and the phonics skills we are working on. I try to connect everything we do throughout the day.

I'm willing to answer any other questions you might have.

Chris

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 30, 2005

We are trying in class remediation this year. I remediate kids from 3:05-3:30. We are also in Title I, ESL, and Spec. Ed. pods. Instead of pulling kids out, the teacher and aides come to the classroom. It's been real hectic. Some of the kids really need to be pulled out so they can concentrate. We'll see if we do it again next year.