Scheduling Time To Learn

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jan 25, 2017

Hey Guys, I'm looking for some tips or strategies on how to stay current in my field, with research and/or knowledge of my subject. I teach Science in middle school, and naturally I'm asked a lot of random questions. I want to be able to talk about these topics with a deeper understanding. It's been a while since I've taken classes in college, but I still have all of my textbooks. The frustration is that I don't have time to really immerse myself in learning a subject, and I feel overwhelmed and unsure how to get started. So, my question is, what do you do to stay current with your subjects? Do you schedule a block of time, and how often? What are some things you do to learn independently? Maybe I'm overthinking things and I just need to get started. Thanks for your input.

3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 25, 2017

I don't remember where I read this, but it was many years ago. One book suggested taking it one unit at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. For example, my degrees are in biology with a minor in chemistry. Thus, I am not a chemistry guru by any means. However, I teach 4 sections of chemistry and love doing so.

Each year, I pick a single unit I feel is weak, outdated, etc. to really beef up. My last big project was improving on Chemical Equilibrium and Kinetics. I greatly expanded my knowledge on this topic while developing new resources, assessments, labs, etc. It went from a puny one week topic to really a three-week unit. I did the same thing about three years ago with my unit over the atom (particularly quantum numbers). I also do this in biology and anatomy & physiology. It's worked really well for me.

As far as resources, I used college textbooks, other high school textbooks, and Texas' UIL science tests. For chemistry specific stuff, chemteam is awesome as is https://gchem.cm.utexas.edu/. For biology, http://www.biology-pages.info/ has been great.

Linguist92021 and mariecurie like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2017

I stay on top of current trends in my field by subscribing to scholarly journals and following various pages on social media. I spend a decent amount of time on social media as it is, so I don't have to go out of my way to have access to new information and ideas or theories.

5. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jan 25, 2017

Your response helps a lot, thank you! Do you make all of these improvements during the school year, during weekends, or is it a summer project?

6. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 26, 2017

Usually over the summer. Our school requires 2 full days at school at some point over the summer for workdays, and sitting down for 16 hours with a purpose really helps with this. On Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring break I'll devote a few hours. Occasionally I get to use my conference period to make some problem sets or assessments.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2017

In addition to courses, I wonder if there are some science related podcasts that you can listen to. I am a huge podcast listener, and I listen to ones on health, politics, news, history, etc. It's a way to consume information in an easy and pretty quick manner (I listen when I work out....cook dinner...get ready in the morning).

8. annmariya

annmariya Guest

Jan 28, 2017

Most of the students are fail during time management. Time is one of the important thing in our life. One of the main reason for failure is improper time management. Try to find proper way to manage time.