Scheduling Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, Jul 10, 2018.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 10, 2018

So I will be teaching 5th Grade this year, ELA and Social Studies and my partner teacher will be doing Math and Science. How do we make up a schedule for switching? It is in our hands..... I've never done this before. I would like to get everything in ELA done in the morning and social studies done in the afternoon. Could we do Math and ELA in the morning and Science/Social Studies in the afternoon? Also I would want a 2 hour chunk of time for ELA for both periods... now this does not mean it will happen. My school goes from 8:00-3:00.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2018

This is similar to what we do at my school, only we both teach our own homerooms reading. My partner teacher teaches all other aspects of ELA and social studies, and I teach math and science. Our principals creates the schedule for us, so we don't really have much say in the length of our blocks or our switching time.

I agree with doing ELA in the morning, but I think that you could leave it up to your partner teacher to decide how he/she wants to break up math and science. Without knowing your lunch/recess and specials/plan time schedule, it's hard to help you break up the day. We do two 105 minute blocks during which we teach both departmentalized subjects before lunch, and then we have another 100 minute block for reading later in the day. If you can't get both of your two hour blocks in before lunch/recess/specials, then you may have to do another two hour block in the afternoon. You might also have to have smaller chunks of time to work around those other pieces of the schedule.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 10, 2018

It would be easiest to just switch once, with a 2.5 hour block of time. One group would have ELA in the afternoon, but in my experience, the fewer times the students switch the better.

Also, do you have 4 hours of instructional time in the morning? If you don’t, your plan won’t work.

bella84 likes this.
  5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 11, 2018

Do you think students could sustain enough attention long enough for a 2 hour block? My school does offer 3 periods (40 minutes) for LAR (ELA) and that is a LONG time for 5th graders.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2018

We have really long blocks of instruction at my school. Even the third graders can handle it. It just means that the teacher has to be good about transitioning between activities and also offering brain breaks.

OUOhYeah and otterpop like this.
  7. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 11, 2018

The schedule is up to me minus the specials. I don't believe 2 hours is too long I just need to give them brain breaks I also think that this is the only way I can get writing in.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2018

So, when is your specials time and your lunch/recess time? Do you have a two hour block of time before you have to do any of that? Do you have a four hour block of time? I agree that a two hour block of time isn't too long for the students. However, if your school's master schedule requires that you take them to specials, lunch, or recess before your first four hours of school is over, then you won't have time to get two uninterrupted two-hour blocks of instruction in.

9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 11, 2018

I do not know when the specials or anything happen/lunch recess. I think I will have to do the 2.5 block you suggested where I see one class in the morning and one class in the afternoon.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 11, 2018

I teach 6th grade Science and ELA and my team teacher teaches Math and Social Studies. We have 52 minute periods and for our schedule we teach 2 periods in a row of ELA or Math. So my homeroom gets ELA and hers gets Math first period. Then next period mine go to her for Math and hers come to me for ELA. Then third period half of them get Science and the other half get Social Studies, and then the period after that they switch to either Science or Social Studies. We're at a middle school and this method works well for us. When the kids switch to their Science/Social Studies the grouping of kids also switches up a bit. So approximately half the students from one homeroom switch into the other one. This is nice at the middle school since typically students wouldn't have the same classmates for four periods of classes.
    This may not be the best set up for an elementary school setting, and especially not if the same homeroom will be staying together all day. But for us it works well. I like teaching the same thing back to back, and the kids get a mini break when they're switching from one room to another.