Schedules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 6, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2008

Do any of you have a P that creates your schedule?

My P decided to do it this year and I am :mad:

This is my schedule:
    8:30-9:30- Math
    9:30-10:15- Specials
    10:15-11:15- Math
    11:15-11:45- Recess
    11:45-12:15- Lunch
    12:15-2:15-LA
    2:15-3:00- Science/SS

I am concerned about having only 45 min to do either Science or SS. We have a state Science test so SS will rarely be taught :( and I LOVE SS! And we got a very cool new series this year... :( :(
    Also, I have TWO HOURS of math :eek: !!! Last year I had 90 minutes. We do typically teach 2 lessons per day, but 2 hours :eek: :eek: My LA block doesn't add up, either, as I am supposed to have 60 minutes writing, 60 minutes reading and 30 minutes of DEAR. Hmmmm.....

This was my schedule last year (and how very different it is!) (school hours changed this year)
    8-9 Writing
    9-10 Reading
    10-10:30 DEAR
    10:30-12:00 Math
    12:00-12:30 Lunch
    12:30-1:10 Science
    1:10-1:40 SS
    1:40-2:10 Recess
    2:10-2:20 Agenda

As for specials, I had 3-45minute blocks (I am excited about 45 minutes every day this year!)
    On Monday, we had a special in the AM so DEAR was in the PM and SS was cut. On Weds- we had back-to-back specials so I did not see them after lunch.

Sorry for the vent...

Back to the ?: Do any of you have a P that creates your schedule? Do you like/dislike it?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Our school has a scheduling committee and we are handed our schedule and that is that. No negotiating. It isn't the best because they are generally not the best for little ones- i.e. Lunch either too early or too late etc.

4. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Our P makes our schedules each year-apparently she started a couple of years before I began working there. She basically said that with band, orchestra a bunch of other pull out programs she felt she needed to take control of the schedules. You're lucky you had so much time for SS/Science in the past-we have 1/2 hour a day to do both-meaning we get one two days a week and one three days for 1/2 hour.

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

When I taught elementary, the teams made their schedules based on lunch and specials times. Moving on to middle this year, the master schedule for each grade level has already been made. I would consider anyone who truely has the flexibility to make their own schedule very lucky.

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I have a few things: lunch, recess, specials and a reading block already assigned, so I get to work around that.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

We are given a schedule. We did get to look at them the week after school got out and were able to give feedback, but it's pretty set in stone due to pull out groups, etc.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

Our P always makes our schedules. I expressed my concerns, but nothing changed. Last year, he did change something for us.

9. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Our principal makes a master schedule showing where you will have gym, art, library, music, and lunch. Then each teacher is able to make their own schedule around the specials. You coordinate with the speech teacher, OT, PT to fit them in. You also work individuallly with the AIS teacher to find the most convenient times. So we basically make our own schedule.

10. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 7, 2008

My AP does our special classes and lunch/recess, but everything else is on us. However, my grade (third grade) gets the crumbs because every other grade level needs time for certain aspects like band/orchestra, chunk of lit time for K-2, etc.

11. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Our P lets us give input as to when we would like our specials and lunch, and tries to accomodate. We got a new P this year and I am so excited about our lunch schedule. In the past, we eat when our students eat and we are responsible for their recess. This year the new P wants to give the students a longer recess (yea!) and have a rotating schedule for the teachers so every other week the teachers have an hour lunch! Previously the only downtime we had was when our students were in specials, so I am VERY excited about this new schedule!!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

We design our own schedules, but everyone has lunch and specials assigned to them. We even can choose our recess time (though everyone does it together) because we have a TA who will watch them at recess... though I am sure the TA would prefer to do recess with everyone else too, as it gives them time to connect out there on the playground.

13. snoopyski

snoopyski New Member

Aug 7, 2008

We have a scheduling com. at our school and they determine who has what when - as far as recess, specials and lunch. From there, typically grade level teams do the specifics. This year, I will have a lot of interrupted time - several 20-30 minute blocks of time with 1 block of time in the morning for reading. We'll see what happens. I have to go to school to pick up the schedule so I can try to start making mine.
    I can't imagine our P making each grades' specific schedule.