schedule

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by diggerdeb, Aug 20, 2011.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

How do I fit readers workshop, writers workshop, circletime, guided reading, letterwork and snacktime into a 5 day a week 2 1/2 hours a day program :confused:

The worse part of snack is...by the time 18 kiddos wash their hands and eat at least 20-30 minutes have passed!

OH! And I know they will see blocks and dramatic play and want time there also.

oh-did i mention that outdoor time would also be wonderful:wub:

please help;)

:thanks:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

Get some letter work I to your circle time and writers workshop mini lesson. Do some guided reading as part of your reading workshop lesson.

4. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

I hear you! I will be moving from full-day back to half-day. I've considered not having snack... it's only 2 1/2 hours. If I think snack is necessary it will be during centers. I'm doing reading with guided reading (1 hr.), writing (25 min.), and math (25 min.) everyday except Friday which will be more focused on social studies or science. We'll do centers for about 20 min. 4 times a week and outside once a week. Circle time every day for 20 minutes. Saying what I plan to do and whether it's possible is very different!

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 20, 2011

I don't know if this will help, because I am a full day program. But here is my morning schedule, maybe you can make some changes to work for you.

8:05-8:15 Children arrive
    8:15-8:30 Free choice centers, (I take attendance and lunch count at this time and go through their folders)
    8:30-8:50- Mornign Meeting-Calendar,weather, teachers message (this could be your circle time)
    8:50-9:10 Phonemice Awareness
    9:10-9:30 word work
    9:30-9:50- Shared reading
    9:50-10:05 snack
    10:05-10:30-Handwriting and writing
    10:30-11:15- Guided reading Litteracy centers (could you have a center with snacks that everyone goes to at this time)
    11:15-Get ready for lunch

I know this is more than 2 1/2 hours but maybe it would help. Your letter and word work could be done Morning meeting, I also do a quick teachers message during this time. Good luck. I would hate to have to teach Kindergarten for a half a day.

6. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

I just went back to 1/2 day last year after 10 years in full day and it is quite a challenge to fit everything in. I no longer have a snack time at all and am lucky if the kids get 15 minutes of play time. Unfortunately, any time outside is saved for special event days. The kindergarten curriculum is what first grade use to be with the same kindergarten time frame. In my opinion, something has to give- either give us more time or less educational outcomes. I had more behavior issues this past year which I think are due to the relentless pace of 1/2 day. I wish I had more time to let the kids have fun and be kids!!

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 21, 2011

It is a little tricky! We also have a half day schedule and it is a balencing act all the time. Here is my schedule:

8:55- kids arrive
    8:55 to 9:10- unpack and turn in papers, do some morning work (generally it is writing numbers or name, pattern blocks, or a sorting activity)
    9:10 to 9:30- circle time
    9:30 to 9:35- movement- I play a song we all wiggle to!
    9:35 to 9:55- math
    9:55 to 10:05- story and snack
    10:05 to 10:30- literacy
    10:30 to 11:00- specials class
    11:00 to 11:30- center time
    11:30 to 11:40- daily WRAP up- summarize the day etc
    11:40 to 11:47- pack up and dismiss

I get A LOT in during circle time. But sometimes it is lost because the kids can't stay focused. My story always goes with my literacy lesson (well almost always). Snack time is my least favorite time of the day as well. We really just don't have time for it but many kids are hungry during class, so what can you do? If you need help just let me know!

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 21, 2011

PS: We never get to go out :( In the spring we start earning recess as a reward and I skip circle time to take them!

BOO

9. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

NY state says I must provide snack. But is there a way to speed it up?

10. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

I didn't read all the post so hopefully I do repeat what others have said.

I also have an extremely tight schedule. Have you tried working on sounds/letters as transitions to the bathroom, to snack, to line up?

I have a carpet with letters and colors and numbers. So we play a quick game and they transition to snack or outside.

Also what about having students have snack 3-4 at a time and the others keep working. As they finish snack they choose a friend to have snack. It takes longer to get through snack, but it helps with allowing children to have a longer work cycle.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 21, 2011

Deb, could they eat snack while you read a story to them? And like MzM mentioned... make snack part of a center rotation! I've considered that since "they" won't let me consider lunch and snack part of my special kids' instructional time despite most having FEEDING SKILLS in their IEP. There are ways around it. Just gotta get creative!