Schedule with new dog

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by laoshijiejie, Jul 17, 2017.

1. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

I adopted my first dog a few weeks ago. My summer schedule has been pretty laid back and I've been able to be at home with her a lot. For those who have dogs, I'm curious what it has been like for you to transition back to school? How was it for your dog going from having you home a lot to you being at school all day?

SageScience likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

Does the dog have anxiety issues, potty issues, or need special care? Will the dog be safe to leave free in the house, or yard, or will it need to be crated? Assuming it is an adult, most things are easier - teething is done, house training is pretty solid, they know the ropes. However, some adults have separation anxiety, and that has its own set of issues. You would know this by the destruction to your house when you went out without the dog and came home to chaos. Without anxiety issues, you will probably be good to go, and the new family member will welcome you home every afternoon with wags and kisses.

4. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

She's an adult, but since I just adopted her from the shelter, she is relearning house training and getting the hang of the new environment. She does show signs of separation anxiety (shaking, accidents in her crate, etc). I talked to the vet today and hopefully we will try different things to help her out. I've only left her alone a few hours at a time, so I'm nervous to see how she will be with me leaving her long days.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

I was afraid that separation anxiety was going to be an issue. More dogs go to shelters for that reason than you would believe possible. There are lots of things to consider. I had a great dog with bad issues. Didn't know if I would be able to keep him. He would be dying to come into the house (to be close) and then mess in the house. Our new routine included going out in the front yard, coming into the house to see me, and then out to the back yard where his brain was apparently relieved enough to remember that he should potty. This was the drill every single time. Deviate at your own risk.

Tried all of the distraction gimmicks - didn't work for this guy - too smart. It seemed almost hopeless, but this dog came into my life the year Reconcile came on the market for dogs. It was the product of the year when it came out. It isn't a quick fix, but it does work over time. You give a little on expecting perfection, and they settle some with the medication, and with luck you find a happy medium where you can co-exist. This dog was on Reconcile until his dying day, and I have never loved any dog more. Training helps (for both of you), and reading each other helps, but I would never let a person struggle with mental health issues if medication was prescribed, and I was just as proactive with that dog. Hubby is a vet, so I was able to do a great deal of research on the product, but mostly I knew that this dog couldn't live this miserable, and I was willing to do whatever it took to help.

Some people swear by comfort shirts, or something like that. I have no experience with those. SA dogs seem to need crates, but don't often do well in them. I will keep fingers crossed for your success.

laoshijiejie and SageScience like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

I think that Reconcile is the same drug as Prozac (chemically speaking), but it has been a few years.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2017

Do you think you could get a dog walker to come in halfway through the day so she's not alone for such a long period of time? Hopefully the vet can help you figure some things out.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 18, 2017

If your vet has or can recommend a doggie daycare, I have friends who swear by that kind of service.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

Doggie daycare is a great idea. We did that with our guy when he was younger. He went twice a week and loved it. He was pretty tired the rest of the week.
    We also let him have his own room. He ended up hating the crate, so we gave him our guest room. He loves that now. He even sleeps in there during the day when we're home!

10. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into doggie daycare/ dog walkers. My little brother is homeschooled and thankfully can come hang with her sometimes during the day too.

11. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

I found a great looking doggie daycare near my school. I think I'll have to check them out!

12. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Aug 4, 2017

One thing I recommend, (for the anxiety when you leave), is to make it much more 'exciting' when you leave than when you get home. I do this with my dogs... for example... when I leave, particularly when it's going to be over 1-2 hours-- I put out their special 'busy' toys (IE: a KONG with a 1-2 tsp of peanut butter, treat dispensing ball (I just put their kibble in it), etc). I also give them a busy bone. When I come home I try to ignore them for a little while (it sounds harsh, I know), but I come in, put my things away, and wait until they are calm and uninterested, then I call them over.

Also, if your dog is triggered by sounds, (like the sound of your keys), pick them up and move them once in awhile when you're not going anywhere to desensitize her so it's not a trigger.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2017

What kind of dog do you have and how old is your dog?

I adopted a shih tzu puppy and send him to doggy day care 3 times a week. He absolutely loves it and the price is almost the same as a dog walker in my area. I love that he gets to socialize with other dogs and we don't feel bad about not having him play with other dogs during the rest of the week. Make sure you find a place that you feel comfortable with. I visited 3 places before I found one that I liked. The daycare here is clean, separates dog by size, and gives dog a play break mid-day where they can rest and eat a lunch/snack. It's so nice because they get separate rooms to rest in that are large and not confining like crates--my dog HATES crates. I visited a doggy day care that was very unclean and another one that crated dogs for about 4 hours a day which I didn't like at all.

You also shouldn't send your dog to daycare every day. I think 3 times a week is the max and your dog will be worn out and want to rest on the other days! Also, know that all dogs will not like daycare. Mine is super social and friendly and we socialized him since he was a young puppy. Some dogs really don't like it, so a dog walker is a better option. I would try to send him to daycare for half a day and ask the staff how they feel your dog did. Dogs are pack animals so I do think it's extremely important that they socialize with other doggies!

To get your dog used to being along, I would freeze a tasty kong (meat baby food without onion powder is great and healthy!) and give it to him before you leave. Your dog will start to look forward to you leaving! Hopefully as a teacher, you will be able to come home before 5 and take him on a walk before dinner. Good luck!!