Schedule part of prob

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 18, 2014

Sorry this turned out to be long. Thanks for reading it. I have a post going about behavior problems and have seen quite a few others posting similar issues. I know my schedule is part of the problem. There is too much transitioning in the mornings. Unfortunately these times can't be changed but I'm sure having a difficult time coming up with a good solution.
    Please take a look at my mornings and share your words of wisdom for how to make this work better and fit everything in. Just not enough teaching going on, there are so many behavior issues, I have to do something.

We use the ABEKA curriculum which calls for a lot of seatwork to be done while you have reading groups (both K & 1st). Yes, I am required to use the worksheets, not all but majority. I also try to include centers, writing journals, art/craft activities, etc. :eek:hmy:

Class 8:30-2:40 (Wed hr. less) We have to be packed up by 2:30
    Lunch 11-11:30 M, W, F need to include a snack and recess time.

Okay, here goes:

M - 9-9:30 (K) aid pulls for extra help- so I have 2 K and
    all 1st K comes back to class to line up and go again.
    9:30-10 (all K) go to Spanish- so I have all 1st
    10-10:30 (all 1st) go to Spanish- so I have all K
    This isn't too bad. I try to use this time to get in a
    lesson and/or reading group with each grade level but I have to
    watch it because the time gets away so quickly. Also, I have no
    planning/setting up time on Mon. :(
    T - 9-10 (all) go to PE 9:35-10:05 (K) Title 1 pulls from PE
    10:20-10:50 (1st) Title 1- so I have 2 1st and all K
    W - 9-9:30 (1st) aid pulls for extra help- so I have 2 1st and all K
    9:35-10:05 (K) Title 1- so I have 2 K and all 1st
    10:20-10:50 all go to music
    12:45-1:30 (1st) Title 1- so I have 2 1st and all K
    This last time always varies. They may go on time or may be
    1:00 and return any time between 1:15 and 1:30. I never
    know until they show up.
    Th - 9-10 all go to PE
    F - No specials or pull outs which like Mon. means no
    planning/setting up time.

I know it seems like it should work and give me time for each grade level but by the time one group lines up and leaves the room and the others settle down there's not much time left. And T & Th after PE there's the washing up, getting drinks, cooling/calming down needed.

Between the mornings feeling so rushed and the behavior issues, some of which may be worse because of this, but a lot of the behaviors are ADHD and other issues and it doesn't matter where they are or what they're doing, there's going to be probs, I'm just plain :dizzy: and :|
    :help:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 18, 2014

I wish I had good advice for you. Kudos on even keeping your schedule straight!! I would probably just do centers and pull small groups all morning, but I have no experience with grades that low so I don't know how realistic that is.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 19, 2014

It is very frustrating trying to get anything accomplished with this class! Between trying to work this schedule and deal with so many behavior issues, I have truly never seen anything like it. What is this world coming to when children this age are so disrespectful, disobedient, unappreciative, unkind to each other...? When I was in school you wouldn't dare think to talk back to a teacher or disobey, well most anyway. You knew if you did you were in trouble at school, they actually followed through with what they said would happen, and you got it at home as well. So many children today have little social skills because they spend all of their time on the computer or in front of the TV. Scary to think how they'll be as teenagers and adults.
    Sorry, tough week.

5. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 19, 2014

I have to say, you have one crazy schedule. :dizzy:
    I wish, I could give you a perfect resolution, but I just do not have it. I am not strict enough as a teacher, so what helps me is to focus on one or two prOblems at a time. I have one student that constantly is having hard time with behavior, I work with him on one issue, once that is done we move onto the next one. It seems to work with him.
    I also felt like getting children's attention was taking me too long, I started implementing a behavioral chart and Whole Brain Teaching, and I am starting to see nice changes. Hang in there, maybe some yoga classes could help you with distressing, I know it makes difference for me.

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 22, 2014

Could still use some suggestions on how to make this work. :)

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 26, 2014

I'd like to offer advice, but I don't think I understand your schedule clearly.

Do you only teach in the morning? Do you only teach Reading? Are you a Reading Interventionist or a classroom teacher with combined K and 1?

If you teach all day, I'd try to teach Reading and Math in the afternoon when the schedule is (assumingly) calmer and do other things in the morning (Science, SS, etc).

How many K and 1st graders do you have altogether (if you are a regular classroom teacher)?

Also, what do you do from 8:30-9:00? Could the aide simply bring the K kids back to the hallway and get the other two K kids at 10 instead of all the kids coming in and disrupting? This would give you a good hour with first grade.

What do you do from 10:30- 11:00?