schedule help?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by missred4190, Jul 8, 2008.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Hi! Needing some advice/help here with my "schedule."

All 3 5th grade teachers at my campus are new, so we are all starting from scratch. For me, I have gone through and decided on some elements I know I want to do, such as a monthly Discovery Quest/speech, many literature experiences (book discussions, for example, book reports), a writing workshop, ect. But I still have to fit in the "biggies:" science, math, and reading for state testing.

I need some example schedules to look at so I can get an idea of how other teachers fit in things like reading, grammar activities, ect. If your students work on writing projects, for example, when and how often do they do this?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

oh, one more thing! :eek: How do you start your mornings? Thanks!

3. BaylorMom

BaylorMom New Member

Jul 8, 2008

Schedule advice

I'm in Texas, also. I don't know what school district you are in, but many of them offer an outline of instruction for the year. I'm in the Austin ISD, and on that website, under Teacher, you'll find the IPGs (Instructional Planning Guides) for each subject and grade level. They are no where near perfect but, for a beginning teacher or beginning of a new grade level teacher, they can offer a lot of help in making sure you cover your TEKS.

I'm pretty sure you can find something similar on the Round Rock and Georgetown ISD websites as well.

Welcome to 5th! It's my favorite grade to teach!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I can't believe they are putting 3 teachers in a grade level without someone who is a veteran of that school & grade level! Wow!

This was my schedule:
    8-8:10 Announcements via TV- kids are working on either DOL or AM (Accelerated Math)
    8:10-9:00 Writing (We followed Lucy Calkins) I was told not to teach grammar or spelling :)eek:) but I fit it in on occassion and hit it hard during this time after our writing assessment (so almost all of 4th quarter)
    9:00-10:00 Reading (as a first year teacher, I was required to follow the basal. I read aloud from a novel and then pretty much followed the layout in the TE basal. Next year I am doing lit circles. Oh, I fit guided reading in on occassion, but the guided reading books that came with our series aren't very good)
    10:00-10:30 DEAR
    10:30-11:55 Math I had to teach 2 lessons a day most of the time, which I am against. I tried to fit centers in as much as I could. Some months I only got 1 day, other months I got 4-5 days. During this time we'd check our homework, I'd go over questions, we'd do a warm up, I'd teach and they'd start on their assignment.
    11:55-12:25 Lunch
    12:25-1:10 Science
    1:10-1:40 Social Studies
    1:40-2:10 Recess
    2:10-2:20 Agendas, dismissal

Wednesdays is when we had our specials, and they began immediately after lunch and lasted until dismissal. Mondays we had art, so Social Studies was scrapped.

As for mornings, school started at 8:00, however students could begin to enter the classrooms at 7:30. They were to unpack, bring me their signed reading log for inspection and my initials and then begin working on their AM (Accelerated Math). They were also allowed to take AR tests and go to the library at this time. At 8:00 AM, the bell rang. Either they continued working on AM or I put a DOL on the board. Our announcements would then come on about 8:05. We began our day as soon as announcements were over. I'd usually announce anything important and we'd jump right into the writing lesson. Since I checked their reading logs, I had already greated each child individually.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

5th grade schedule

This is my schedule from last year:

7:45-8:10 Daily Warmup & Homework Review
    8:10-9:35 Mathematics
    - Calendar Math/Numerical Fluency (15 min.)
    - Math Investigations (35 min.)
    - Problem Solving/Guided Math (35 min.)
    9:35-10:20 Special Areas (Music, Art, P.E.)
    10:20-12:00 Language Arts/Social Studies
    - Read Aloud (15 min.)
    - Shared Reading (20 min.)
    - Writing Minilesson (10 min.)
    - Guided Reading (55 min.)/Independent Writing & Reading
    12:00-12:32 ESL/Grammar/Spelling/Technology
    12:32-1:02 Lunch!
    1:02-2:02 Science
    2:02 -2:22 Recess
    2:22-2:32 Class Meeting/Homework Review
    2:32-2:45 Clean Up & Dismissal

As the year went on, spelling was something I introduced on Mon/Tues and students had packets they needed to complete either in class once they finished main assignments or at home. My school (and district, i think) mandates 90 minutes of math and 120 minutes of language arts. My daily warmup was typically math-based, although as we approached TAKS time I threw in a lot of science and reading for review.

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

As far as morning stuff, much like giraffe I checked homework, collected notes, etc. as students worked on their warmup. My teammate tried to launch straight into her lessons, which I think was more often than not interrupted by parents, phone calls, and other issues that are best resolved quickly, first-thing in the morning. I particularly like having those 15-25 minutes at the beginning of the day to do a little extra 1-on-1 with kids who were boggled by the homework or are struggling with skills on the warmup.

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Thank you for your responses. I know some teachers who, for example, use reading time to focus only on the basal, and none of us want to do that. One of the teachers wants to do TAKS passages every day during this time. I want to work with some novels, teach story elements, ect.

It might be easier once I have seen the book we will be using too. I know when I have "basic skills" pull out and specials (pe, music and art) already. I feel a little like I might be wanting to do "too much" outside of TAKS prep. How sad is that??? I know I'm expected to really hit the TAKS prep hard and from the start... How do you guys deal with that? What role does TAKS prep play in your classroom (timewise, ect?)

8. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Hi,
    This is something I struggled with as well. I enjoyed the literature circle/novel experience, but felt like I need more guidance and structure when it comes to teaching skills. So, this is what I came up with:
    8:45 - 9:00 - Daily Edit on overhead
    9:05-9:15 - Check Daily Edit as a group - this covers all mechanics and grammar work
    9:15 - 10:15 - Reading
    - Either literature circles, or a whole group read aloud novel
    - I have students rotate through centers: reading, doing the novel "work" (reading response, etc), Words Their Way(word study), and meeting with me. While meeting with me, we will use the basal...focusing on the skill for that story.
    - On Mondays (or the first day of the week) I will do a minilesson that will introduce the skill of the week (the same skill from the basal) and we will focus on that skill in small group and in their novels.
    We do 100 Book Challenge (SSR, basically) during Core time...a time during the day where nothing new is to be taught so that students can be pulled for music lessons, reading/math support, etc.
    The problem is that we only have a language arts block from 9:00 - 11:00...and some of that time is taken up by morning routine...lunchcount, attendance, morning broadcast, etc. Leaving only from 10:15 or so until 11:00 for writing workshop. Boo.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

This is my schedule for the upcoming year:

8:15-8:25 Morning Announcements
    8:25-10:00 Reading
    10:00-10:30 Walk-to-Read
    10:30-11:10 Specials
    11:10-11:45 Writing
    11:45-12:15 Lunch
    12:15-1:50 Math
    1:50-2:50 Science/Social Studies
    2:50-3:00 Wrap-Up

I'm still working on what will happen during each content area so that there is some structure and so that students know what to expect.

10. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

Calalilys- What is "Walk-to-Read"?? I am guessing that it is your timefram for independent reading... but I could be wrong.

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

It's where we've divided the entire grade level up into green, red and yellow groups based on their DIBELS scores. One teacher has the yellow group, another has red and then there is two greens, which are the high group. We spend those 30 minutes to target key areas that these students are lacking with the hopes of increasing their decoding and comprehension skills.

12. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Up here in Ontario we devote 100 minutes to Literacy, preferably in the mornings (but that depends on scheduling with other classes like PE, French, etc). About an hour is set aside for math and the rest is divided as you see fit. We run 50 minute periods (six in a day) so I tend to do two each of social studies, science, art, and PE in the course of a week.

However, your schedule is constantly changing and evolving to be more efficient so don't tie yourself to one set schedule for the duration of the year. Mix it up if you have to. I know kids work well under routines but change is good every now and then.

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2008

Here is my schedule from last year.

7:30-8:00 mw/ copy hw into agenda/ read
    8:00-8:55 whole group reading/ DI students leave
    8:55-9:35 small group reading/ literacy centers
    9:35-9:40 break
    9:40-10:40 math
    10:40- 11:25 specials
    11:25-12:30 la/writing
    12:30-12:40 start ss/science(we do these units at a time)
    12:40-1:10 lunch
    1:10-1:20 break
    1:20-2:05 finish ss/science
    2:10-2:15 prepare for dismissal
    2:15 dismissal