Schedule Help

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by FirstGraders, Aug 24, 2011.

1. FirstGraders

FirstGraders New Member

Aug 24, 2011

Hello, I am a first year teacher, starting first grade soon. I'm a little overwhelmed with putting together my daily schedule. I have a rough idea, but would love input. Ideas on how much time I should assign to each?

These are the subjects I'm teaching, as well as my initial time allotment, if I've figured one out. Not sure which ones can be only a few times a week. Oh, and my school week is only 4 days!:
    Math- 40 daily
    Grammar- 30 daily
    Reading/Literature- 30
    Writing-
    Spelling-
    Science- daily
    Handwriting-
    Latin- once/week
    Bible- daily
    Geography-

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

I would plan about an 1 hour for math and 2 hours for reading (you'll need to cover phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, etc) and maybe another 30 minutes for writing.

First, you need to get a list of your pre-arranged times: lunch, recess, specials, etc.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I would do science as an hour, if you are doing experiments, twice a week. Otherwise I would probably do a half hour of it daily. I would put whatever is less intense mentally at the end of the day.

I agree with moper about longer time for language arts and math.

I would give around 30 minutes daily for writing. Maybe around 15 minutes to handwriting.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

My P makes our schedules with the times in place. I don't have this year's yet, but it usually allows 20 min for morning meeting 45 for math, 90 for literacy, 40 min for speical, 60 min lunch/recess, 30-40 for science OR social (we alternate units) 30-40 for writing.

6. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 2, 2011

I agree with other posters- at least 90 minutes of Reading/Literacy and then around 30-45 minutes for writing (or possibly even more if you are doing workshop) and 30-60 minutes for math. Both the school that I student taught at and the school I work at now have had a 90 minute Literacy Block requirement- all I do in the 3+ hours before lunch is Reading Workshop & Math. Still have to figure out how to fill a whole hour for math, but I just got my curriculum materials today (the 2nd day of school!) so I will be doing some studying this weekend to get ready to begin unit 1 on Tuesday.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

Double check to see if you have any state/district requirements. The province I live in has specific minutes we have to allot to each subjet area - we don't get to choose.