Schedule: "6 over7"

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by awaxler, Jul 27, 2006.

1. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

Just got back from my school and my admins were telling me that the county has decided to go to a "6 over 7" schedule.

Seems a bit confusing...I will have 6 8th grade social studies classes. We are on a six period schedule. I will teach 5/periods each day with one prep/planning. The 6th class will rotate through the schedule with one other class rotating out each day.

In other words my 6th class will meet 1st period one day, 2nd period the next. third period the next, and so on.

Like I said a bit confusing, not only to understand, but also to teach in, but I'm not really complaining...yet...

You see, on the seventh day of the schedule, my 6th class will unfortunately rotate into my planning period. Therefore, every 7th day I will teach 6 periods in a row with no planning!!!!

According to our lovely contract, they can do this to us as long as they pay us our hourly wage for that one period. (gee, thanks for the 15 bucks)

Would love to get some feedback on this. Anyone else every have something like this?

--Adam

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2006

I have never heard of this, but I would definitely find out when contract negotiations are up again and make my voice heard. But if it makes you feel better, I don't get any planning two days a week.

4. brett158

brett158 Companion

Jul 27, 2006

Ive never heard of anything like that? I agree with Missy to look into contract negotiations. When you start school I am sure you will hear lots of other teachers opinions. Just to put things in perspective I dont get any planning period and my lunch is 15 minutes long.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2006

We have 180 minutes of prep (planning) time per week (this is in the elementary panel). The only restriction on scheduling this is that the prep time cannot be less than 20 minutes at a time. However, we usually don't get prep time every day. Before this new contract was negotiated just over a year ago, we had 150 minutes of planning time each week. With 50 minute periods, that meant at least 2 days each week without a prep.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 27, 2006

That schedule is common in the private schools in South Florida and I have also heard about it working in Maryland---

7. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

Wow...I can't believe how little planning some of you have. When I lived in NY we had 2 planning periods every day.

I thought it was common that middle school had at least one planning each day.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2006

I have one day a week without a planning period, and at my school, we always have to do lunch and recess duty with our class, so our planning period is pretty much our only break. That day without it is rough at times.

9. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 27, 2006

Well- Not to seem like a Polyanna - but is there a way you can make this work for you a little better?

Here would be my idea - take my $60 a month and hire a housekeeper to come once a month (here that would be the rate for about 4 hours of service) and have them come and do some of my deep cleaning (baseboards, scrubbing the grout, etc). That way - while my maid is cleaning up for a few hours on a Sat - I would treat myself to some coffee at the coffee shop up the street and do some grading/planning/whatever. That way you get some planning time AND you don't have to srub the grout! And while I am new to teaching this year - I imagine that grading papers beats cleaning the oven any ol day!

(Or this could work for a lawn service too - you can get service 2 times a month with a moderate sized yard out here - at least that is what I pay...and again - it is time saved from grass in my nostrils and "gasoline hands" from the mower!)

Just some polyanna suggestions!

~J

10. brett158

brett158 Companion

Jul 28, 2006

TheConspiracy,
    BRILLIANT Suggestions.....you are a genius!! I would have never though of that.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

Conspiracy, you are a genius!!

And, to add:

There are some ups (well, not the losing a prep part)
    - It can be brutal to teach kids right after lunch, or last period, particularly a class which is challenging to begin with. With a rotating schedule, you'll see that that killer class is easier to deal with when you see them earlier in the day.

- Plan to make that 6th day a testing day. I test every 2 weeks. So have 3 of your classes test on the 1st "F" day, the other 3 a cycle later. You'll be off your feet as you proctor. ( I tend to sit on my desk as I proctor. I can still see everyone in the room, but it gives me a break.) (FYI: I test regardless of what chapter I'm on. So a big chapter might have 2-3 tests, while a shorter one gets only part of a test.) If that doesn't work, make it a day for the occasional oral report or project or group work-- anything that gives you a bit of a break.

Ask other teachers in the school how they approach it.

Congrats on getting the job in such a tight market!!

12. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

I had two planning periods last year (one was actual, the other was ISS), so I can't really give advice. Just wanted to wish you luck! You will probably use your time a bit more wisely than the rest of us with consistent planning time each day!

13. DaliTeaches05

DaliTeaches05 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

We have something very similar to this at our school. It's called Drop Scheduling. There are a total of 7 periods. We see five periods everyday, with one planning, for a total of six periods per day. On Monday, we start with period one and go all the way to six. Fourth period is planning, which is everyday, as is 5th period wherein we have a class. (I teach middle school, BTW.) Tuesday begins with 2nd period and on to 7th. Wednesday starts with 3rd, ends with 1st, and so on.

At first, it was really hard to handle. It was hard to keep track of who was doing what and when we'd see those kids again, since we'd only see each class four times a week, except for our 5th period whom we saw all five days. This was my biggest problem as my 5th period was so ahead of the other classes that by the end of the year, I was making things up as the days came. The other problem is that I teach language arts, and there is no way in the world I can cover anything substantial in 50 minutes. I totally want block, but that won't happen this year. Oh well.

Good luck with the schedule!

14. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

:wow:

you genius! i love this idea!!!! amazing-i wish i would have thought of this--

15. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 9, 2006

I'm elementary too and I have to have 180 minutes of planning. Not be less than 15 minutes. I have two days each week where I get no planning time at all except in the morning. It stinks!!

16. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Aug 10, 2006

Well...now that I have been working in this schedule for about a week I can say that there are some things I like...

However, overall, the disadvantages FAR outweigh the advantages.

My biggest concern is the amount of class time that is lost. The way this schedule works is that one class rotates out every day and on the seventh day I have all six classes (with no prep).

Here's the problem...that means I see my kids 25 less times than I did last year. Think about that...I lose a full 25 periods of teaching over the course of the year. That's 5 weeks!