Scenario question For Elementary School Teacher- HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherJ4life, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 7, 2008

This is a scenario question that I am wondering about. I know that if it was a handful of children you would just take them out during a word work lesson or some area they were strong in to review that matter. However, this is half your class. I am student teaching now so this is all new to me.
    It is three months into the school year and you just completed a week long unit of study that covered grade level standards. However, even though you prepared really well for this unit, 50% of your students did not pass the end of unit test. You are expected to move on. What do you do?
    HELP!:help::help:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

I'd provide extra help for the kids, and give them extra review. On other tests, maybe add a few questions for the previous unit for review.

4. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Thanks for your help!

Anyone else have other advice? I need to write a 500 word essay for this:help:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2008

Try to incorporate the standards they did not get into the new material you have to move on too.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

I'm wondering if you need to say something about analyzing how you taught the infor to show that you are being reflective. Perhaps you may want to talk to others on your team to see how their kids did and then get some suggestions from them

Other than that I would say the same as the above posters.

Lemonhead

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

and what about informal assessments along the way to make sure they are getting it before the big test?

8. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 7, 2008

I am not sure what they expect but I know it has to be GOOD, 500 words and on the ball. All I know is the subject matter is elementary school.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

Are you sure it is 500 words and not 500 characters? 500 words is a lot!

10. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 7, 2008

500 word limit!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 7, 2008

You can also mention utilizing the subject in other subjects. For example, if it is science or social studies, use books with that theme in your reading/language arts lessons for the next week; math can be integrated in science and as a 5 minute review at the beginning of class. Reading skills can be reviewed any time you are reading a textbook or trade book to the class during any subject.

I would honestly say that I would have to stop and reteach though. For many subjects you just can't move on without them knowing the foundations. Almost all subjects and scope and sequences are built with the expectation that students know the last 3 steps before you move on.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 7, 2008

Make connections--- you're building a foundation of knowledge and wisdom from day one in the classroom. Also try to link the new information back to the old information--- students learn better and retain the information for longer when they are able to make connections in their minds.

I would also perhaps assign a "student contract", which is sorta like a portfolio for the students. Perhaps skipping one day a week--- or over the weekends--- students would be assigned a project sheet related to the unit they just covered (or will be covering). Students then pick the activities they like best, design and research them, and hand them in for an assessment grade. This was one of the assignments we learned in our literacy methods class at college and I just loved it!

Examples: http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=141
    Look at the following: "a. Interactive Student Contract

b. Literature Response Activities (negotiable items)

c. SSR Extension Activities (non-negotiable items)"

13. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

I agree with Lemonhead - I would strongly suggest using part of the essay to analyze how you presented the lesson, and some"guesses" as to why it was not absobed well by the students. If you reteach the same way you taught the first time around, logic says you will get the same 50% results. It is crucial that you analyze a lesson that did not meet your goal.
    - do the students have different learning needs that were not met?
    - was one of the key pieces of the lesson missing (i.e. setting up background knowledge, independent practice etc.)?
    - Did the students have a chance to get clarification when they needed it?
    - Were there distractions in the classroom?

-Do not forget to see what went well, too: Perhaps the students were interested in the topic because your presentation was age appropriate (even idf the goals weren't met).

14. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

One thing I would check is the test itself. Did it test what was covered? I would include reteaching strat., making sure that there was a concrete hook to link the lesson to prior knowledge and invite discovery. Include teaching in 4 areas of learning, (aural, visual, kin, and tactile) as well as those for left and right brain. I would talk about test analysis of the most frequent missed items to find out if there was a pattern in the wrong answers, or did the students random guess. include checking with other teachers to see if they presented material in a different way (collaboration)

Look for ways to showcase your talent of teaching. It sounds like they are looking for PPR methods. and best teaching/reteaching strat.

We have a poster at our school that states something like this
    "The best schools are not judged what their students learn , but the response to those students who do not learn" or something like that from the DeFour

mi