Scary realization of growing 'old' today

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Jem, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 29, 2014

We played School's Out for Summer-Alice Cooper-over the loudspeaker last day of senior year...

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 29, 2014

Ahh, the 90's...

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 29, 2014

WE were listening to a radio station their slogan is something like Today's music without the rap. I laughed when I heard it. LOL

4. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

May 29, 2014

Wild Thing was a favorite. I clearly remember my poor middle school teachers hating Sisqo's "The Thong Song" and Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" in 1999 and 2000.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 29, 2014

Pretty much all I listened to in high school in the late 80s was heavy metal and there wasn't an appropriate song in the bunch. :) I remember my friend complaining about my music and then listening to George Michael. I had to explain to her that his "Monkey" song was about drug addiction and let's not even get into "I Want Your _______"!

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 29, 2014

Making love in the afternoon with Cecelia, up in my bedroom. I got up to wash my face when I came back again someone's taken my place!

Shocking!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 29, 2014

I have kids in my room at lunch coloring a gift for a teacher and just had to shut down 'Whistle For Me'. Gah!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 29, 2014

As in, "put your lips together and come real close"???

Jeez, kids these days!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 29, 2014

This is why I played a lot of Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach in my classroom. No lyrics! I was lucky that if I introduced a kids CD of music like Curious George soundtrack or Muppets music they were usually on board with them.

10. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

May 31, 2014

Speaking of this song... she and Jimmy Kimmel did a bit on New Lyrics for Old People where he translated what this song meant. Pretty funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyfjry9RB0U&feature=kp

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 31, 2014

Its not just music. Mrs B is currently reading 50 shades of grey and I am having to enlighten her in some of the terminology (and we have been married for 36 years)! (It's wearing me out)!

12. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 31, 2014

Even songs that were "made for children" are filled with inappropriate lyrics. A Whole New World is the first that comes to mind (see below for lyrics). Most of us sang inappropriate songs at the top of our lungs (classroom, house, etc.) when we were younger, without having a clue what we were saying. I even watch old re-runs of "family" shows sometimes and hear quite a bit of adult humor that I'm sure I didn't understand when I was 11 or 12.

here are just some of the ones that stick out.....

Aladdin: I can open your eyes
    Take you wonder by wonder
    Over, sideways and under
    On a magic carpet ride

Aladdin: A whole new world
    A new fantastic point of view
    No one to tell us no or where to go

Princess Jasmine: Unbelievable sights
    Indescribable feelings
    Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
    Through an endless diamond sky

Princess Jasmine: A whole new world
    Aladdin: (Don't you dare close your eyes)
    Princess Jasmine: A hundred thousand things to see
    Aladdin: (Hold your breath, it gets better)

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2014

These are inappropriate lyrics?? I guess anything can sound dirty...but this is kind of reaching!:lol:

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 31, 2014

Yeeeeaaahhhh.... finding THAT dirty says more about the person than the song.

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 31, 2014

I just taught a lesson on the History of Rap Music to my World History class and it was interesting to see how lyrics have developed over the last 30+ years. Early rap songs sounded so innocent!

Being a high school teacher, I have to know these cultural references, so I had the opposite reaction to this thread. I was surprised there were people who DIDN'T know what "turnt up" meant. I guess we all live in our own bubbles. :D

16. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 31, 2014

It doesn't seem like reaching to me... the song is about Jasmine losing her virginity. I know the lyrics aren't "f**k me hard" or "pop my cherry" .... but they are still (debatably) about sex. I'm not saying I think it's bad for kids to listen to Disney music... I was just pointing out an interesting fact that even some songs made for kids are about adult topics.

Many Disney movies and songs are filled with sex (and racism, and other things... but that is a different topic). I am not the only person in the world to think this way; there are college courses on this topic.

17. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 31, 2014

Except that he was.... LITERALLY showing her the world. Because she was completely sheltered and never let outside of the palace walls, so all she wanted most in the world was to see it. You will never be able to convince anyone that Alan Menken sat down to write a song about a 16 year old Disney princess losing her virginity.

Some people can find dirtiness anywhere. And there are college courses on maple syrup and the philosophy of Star Trek, so that doesn't say much. :p

18. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2014

I think Disney imbeds a lot of adult content into their movies. It's been interesting to me to research some of the "hidden" messages that graphic artists tie in to the movies. But some of it is so far reached, it can hardly be seen as adult content. Like the lyrics- yes, I can see how it can seem sexual if taken from that context, but I would guess most people would never come to that conclusion just hearing the lyrics alone. I've known about Disney's naughty side for years, but again, anything can seem naughty if you make it!;)

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2014

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in on some of the brainstorming and writing sessions!

20. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 31, 2014

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

I'm actually surprised you seem so shocked by my comment... I thought this "dark" side to Disney movies was widely known. Yes, controversial, but widely known.

Perhaps if it were a non-disney song you might be more open to seeing the hidden meaning. Regardless, it doesn't matter either way. I have nothing against Disney music... I was just pointing out something I thought was INTERESTING when I first heard of it.

21. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 31, 2014

Right, you are completely right. Maybe I phrased my original comment incorrectly. I don't think the song itself is inappropriate at all. I was just saying that many people (including educated ones!) find the song to be filled with hidden messages about sex, if you look at it from a different viewpoint (which isn't too far-fetched when you put together all of the small pieces of the "naughty" Disney puzzle). Basically, I just thought it fit in with the conversation. Wasn't trying to start a debate!! :woot:

22. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 31, 2014

I think the person who told you this was in their OWN new world, with the help of some pharmaceuticals.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 31, 2014

I really wanted to use an Eminem song in my class a couple of weeks ago as an example of assonance (he's REALLY good at it). Unfortunately, I couldn't find two lines in a row that didn't have something objective. Wound up going with Shel Silverstein instead.

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2014

Didn't think you were trying to start a debate.:) it's all in good fun!

25. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 31, 2014

Honestly, I think this would be FASCINATING class.

26. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

May 31, 2014

Agreed! :thumb:

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 31, 2014

One of the first grade teachers ended up using the Kid Bop version of Keisha's Timber. I just about fell out of my chair. Firstly, that there is even a kid's version of that song. Second, that she used it.

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 31, 2014

Third, that is the stupidest song in the history of songs.:p

29. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

I had to google this to hear how they could possibly turn that song into a kid's song. Hilarious!

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

You took words out of my mouth... This is my fave Disney movie....

There are a lot of hidden things, but I think sometimes people just hunt for them and make more out of them...:rolleyes:

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

:yeahthat:

I know Disney isn't white as snow, but I think there is also a good amount of "reading into" that goes on. I don't know if this is a product of our hyper-PC society or what.

Back to the theme of what I think the OP was posting about, I'm not the least bit surprised at the lyrical content of popular songs. There have always been songs about taboo subject matter. I'm more shocked that children as so young are exposed to it as much as they are.

32. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

Why? My parents listed to the radio when I was growing up. I remember the song "Afternoon Delight" being a very popular song being played over and over and I not having a clue about what it meant. I thought they were building a campfire during the day. That was delightful to me because I loved roasting marshmallows on the campfire.

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 1, 2014

Heck, I remember seeing Grease as a little kid and thinking it was a lot of fun. When I saw the stage version as a teen, I was amazed at how suggestive it was compared to the movie. Then I watched the movie again and realized how much went over my younger head.

34. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

Grease is a foul, foul movie with a horrible message. Good girl isn't cool enough so she transforms herself into a slut to fit in with her boyfriend's crowd. The song lyrics are horrible.

That is one movie I never allowed my children to watch. One of my kids did not see it until he was 20!

35. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

1) I think sometimes we overestimate kids' knowledge level. No matter how obvious a sexual reference is to us adults, most kids aren't going to get it. I think a lot of companies do it so that parents/adults/older brothers and sisters won't mind watching these shows with their kids.

2) I totally see the "A Whole New World" thing, particularly in the context of Disney, even ignoring the implications of a "magic carpet ride" in non kid-friendly locales.

3) Seriously. We're talking about people that literally put a penis on the cover of one of their most famous and popular movies.

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

I have felt this way for a long time! You are the first person I've known who agrees with my view of this film/play. I hate that she changed instead of staying true to herself.

37. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I love Grease. I hate that every movie/song/book has to have a good message. Some things are just plain entertainment. Fight Club and Boondock Saints are two other favorite movies.

I also definitely wouldn't call sandy a slut... She wasn't promiscuous with different men. Don't forget that he also tried to change for her. Yet that's never mentioned?

38. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

Not only that... they're high schoolers. Changing themselves to fit in or to get a certain person to like them is pretty much standard for high schoolers.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I tried many different "phases" in high school. I have fond memories of my goth phase :lol: I didn't figure out who I really was or what I really liked until college. In some ways I'm still figuring it out.

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2014

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp

Snopes says non intentional and a lot of the rumor was untrue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.