Scary Moment the Other Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2011

So I'm running an errand in a bldg in a city I never go to. Across the street from the bldg are residential homes & my car is parked very close. As I'm walking out, a man is chasing a pit bull mix-looking dog away from his property. The dog runs in the back out of my sight (still across the street), then it quickly comes back out & runs across the narrow street making a beeline for me! I had nothing but my purse to hit it with if I had to. I stopped walking & stood still (flinching mind you) & miraculously, it darted away from me when it was about 2 ft from touching me & very well could have bitten me!

I asked the man across the street if it bites & he said, "I don't know, it's not my dog, but probably not." I went back in the bldg & fortunately there was a back way to exit & I cautiously walked & made it to my car. Whew, thank you God! :eek:

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I'm terrified of strange dogs (meaning, dogs that I don't know). One time I was unpacking things from my car when we first moved into our new house. I was by myself. Halfway between my car and my door, a pit bull/boxer mix ( I believe) strolled over to me. Now, I'm deathly afraid of dogs if I don't know them (friends' dogs are okay). So, I stood there, not moving because I didn't know what to do. A car was driving by slowly down the cul-de-sac watching me. I thought, uh, is this your dog as I looked at them. Then, they just drove away. The dog licked my hand (ugh, that terrified me) and then just walked away. I quickly ran to my car and drove back to my other house.

We later learned that those people did own the dog and they always let that dog loose in the neighborhood. We also learned it was an old female dog and just roamed around but didn't do much. Those people eventually moved out.

So, I know how you feel!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

Dogs don't really bother me. My sis in law raises pits and they are the biggest babies ever (it definitely is in how you raise them, IMO). But, I was walking MY two dogs yesterday and this old dog was laying on the porch of a house and came out to 'investigate'. Nothing bad, just wanted to see who the dogs were and went back to the porch!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 1, 2011

I can see how that would be a scary situation especially if a man was chasing a dog that wasn't his and he knew nothing about it. Some people are afraid of my dog because he is very friendly buy will bark a lot until the person is up close then he will just roll over so they can rub his belly. Of course the people don't know this (like the UPS man the other day LOL) and are a bit leary of getting too close to him.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 1, 2011

I love dogs. I have two of my own that I adore. However, I am scared of strange dogs, no matter their size. I have been attacked by a dog before, so that is the reason I have a fear of strange dogs. Especially those that are running towards me.

I'm glad you are okay Ms. I!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 1, 2011

Thanks Miss W. I love dogs too, but strange, unfriendly dogs on the large size, I don't care for...unless I know they're friendly. My dog doesn't scare or intimidate anyone & he never barks at a soul. He LOVES people. If we had a burglar, my dog would walk over as if to say, "Come on in so you can pet me!" :unsure:

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 1, 2011

I love dogs. If anything, I'm too friendly with dogs.

One day when I got home, there were FIVE dogs in my driveway to meet me. Two of them always met me, one did if she was outside, and the other two must have heard that I was the dog-treat lady.

One of my neighbors abandoned two pit bulls. The first one belonged to their daughter. She moved and left the dog. After I realized he wasn't being taken care of, I adopted him. Last winter the grand daughter got a pit puppy. He roamed around the neighborhood tearing up everything. They got tired of paying for all his damage, so they quit taking care of him. He ended up at my house, too.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2011

I'm also perhaps too trusting. Living on a farm it seemed many dogs somehow "found" us (as in, our place is where the owner opened the truck door and pushed his dog out :(), so I never think much of "strange" dogs. I've just never been given a reason to be too worried.

Ms. I, your dog reminds me of my own...he attaches immediately to anyone. You'd think he was starved for attention but that's anything but the truth. He cries when the mailman leaves, a repair man...it's pathetic and yet oh so cute.