Scariest day of my career ever

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChemTeachBHS, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Today was by far the scariest day of my teaching career. A kid that I am very close to fainted in front of my door, hit his head and had a seizure. He was out cold for over 2 minutes. I've never been so scared in my entire life, I though he was going to die right in front of my eyes with me holding his hand. The nurse was able to get him talking and he was taken to the hospital to check for trauma. Please keep him in your prayers.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2013

That is scary!! Hoping for the best for the young man!

4. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

I don't blame you. I was terrified when someone in the class I worked in had a seizure the first time. It is a scary thing. Luckily I reacted quickly and got a teacher to call a nurse for me. I really hope he is doing okay!

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 10, 2013

Scary!

Keeping him in our prayers.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 10, 2013

Seizures are so scary. I have seen my share of them. You did great and was there for him!

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2013

Wow that is scary! I hope he recovers!

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

Have you heard an update from the parents or the school?

9. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Not yet. I asked about him before I left but they hadn't heard anything yet. I'll try to call his mom tomorrow, I didn't want to bother her tonight.

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 10, 2013

I will be in prayer for your student. I hope you can rest easy tonight.

11. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Prayers to both you and your student.

Hugs....xx

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 10, 2013

Thinking of you and your student. Keep us in the loop no matter what. I'm so grateful you were there for that poor kid.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2013

For that kid, AND for the other students.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 10, 2013

Gosh, this is one of my worst nightmares. I'm so sorry for you and your students, and I hope the student in question is okay!

15. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 11, 2013

It's good that the student is okay.

It is also very very very good that the seizure lasted less than five minutes and he was able to talk shortly after the seizure.

Seizures in school suck. I've had one in school. Not pleasant in the least. Wonder what caused the student to faint? Perhaps the heat today? So if the seizure were induced by the head hitting the floor, that is better than a seizure randomly occurring. Unless of course the fainting was caused by something underlying like syncope.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 11, 2013

Fresh out of college I had a student have a grand mal seizure on my very first day subbing. I had a TA that day and she called 911 while I watched helplessly as this student turned blue and relieved himself on the floor. It was terrible. I'm will have your student in my thoughts today.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

Those sick kids are incredibly scary. It sounds as though you did everything right-- you got him medical help and you held his hand and comforted him.

No matter how many times it happens in front of you, it's never easy.

Prayers for him, and kudos to you for taking such good care of him.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

Hugs and prayers for all of you.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2013

Early in my career we are out on the playground and having some sort of running game. A tiny girl goes down and the crowd is around her. I lean down and sort of pick her up. She opens her eyes looks at me and does the classic death move (eyes close and she goes limp) Needless to say it scared the #*$^ out of me. She was giving me a little drama. Since then I can almost always tell bad injury from minor.

20. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 11, 2013

Just so everyone knows what to do in case of a child having a seizure: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/firstaid/index.cfm There are some aspects that aren't just common sense, like timing the seizure. They don't mention calling 911, but unless you already know about a medical condition that does not make a seizure an emergency and have a plan in place, calling is obviously a good move.

As we can see, it's important to be aware of the appropriate procedure. There's a lot of misinformation out there. I've reacted to a seizure in public, but luckily never in the classroom.

21. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for the support. I talked to his mom today. They said it was a mixture of dehydration and the heat. The seizure was caused by his head hitting the floor. He has a mild concussion. They are going to run some more tests to find out if there is a bigger medical issue they don't know about yet. It's funny- she told me I went into mommy mode (panicing inside but remaining calm on the outside). If only she know that it's probably true because I'm going to be a mom in a few months. I'm just glad that he'll be back in school Monday.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2013

That happened to a kid in my class in 4th grade and I still remember it so vividly it was very frightening, especially because I had no idea what a seizure was then.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 11, 2013

Hopefully the tests (probably an EEG, EKG, ECG, and a stress test) will turn up negative and it'll be determined for sure that no underlying condition caused either event (the fainting or the seizure) then he'll just have a little quirk on his medical history.

When he comes back on Monday, he'll probably be embarrassed.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

Minus the concussion, that's what happened to one of my sumer SAT prep kids a year or so ago. I simply could not get him to remain fully conscious.. he kept drifting in and out. And, because it was a summer program, mine was the only class in session-- the nearest adult was in another building.

I got his cell phone, got one of the other kids to get his mom's number, and told her... she was there in less than 5 minutes and took him to the ER. In the meantime, I laid him on the floor and did all I could to keep him conscious. Had I not been able to get mom, 911 would have been the next call.

Turns out he was dehydrated. (So, as it turns out, it probably would have done him more good to pour water into him than onto him, but who knew? I wasn't about to chance making things worse.)

I think the very best advice anyone can have is this: unless you're a certified EMT, you leave it to the professionals. You get help. Either you call for help or you get someone else to do so.

Lots of time online we see all sorts of "Here's what I think is wrong... "types of diagnoses. And, online, that's fine because the adult asking the question is still at liberty to call a doctor if and when he/she deems it necessary.

But when we're in charge of kids, the rules are different. Rule number 1: get help. Don't diagnose, get help from the professionals trained to do so.

You should be proud of the way you reacted.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2013

Glad he'll be ok!! My friend had a seizure before coming to school!! It was scary just hearing about it!!!
    Way to go into Mommy Mode!