scared.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

I'm starting my new job on Monday and I can honestly say that I am freaked out. :eek:I just want to do a good job and make a good impression. I'm worried I will do or say something dumb. I guess my nerves are getting the best of me.:unsure: I was always the new kid as a child and I'm just really shy because of it.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2010

OK, deep breaths.

Picture a new kid in your class, all nervous that he might not make a good impression. Here's the speech you would give:

All you have to do is your best. Be yourself. It's why all the people who love you think so highly of you. There's no reason to think that these new people will do any less.

Go in with a big smile and a handshake, and don't be afraid to say: "Hi, I'm Julie. I don't think we've met."

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

You'll be fine, you are trained to do this and obviously someone else believes in you or you wouldn't have a job. Relax

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

You will be fine. Its all new and scary but eventually you are going to fit in and feel at home. Think of it this way, you have to work as a team but you also spend alot of your day teaching the kids. I am more nervous about meeting the parents ;/

6. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Good luck, deep breath, and hugs to you! It will be old hat in a few weeks!

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

Shoot, it's scary for me and I've been working at the same place for 7 years! I still get nervous about the first meetings, standing up and introducing myself, etc. You'll be fine! You deserve to be there and will make a difference on their team! :thumb:

8. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I know how you feel. Monday is my first day too.

I'm sure you will do great. It's normal to feel a bit nervous before the first day. We just have to turn our anticipatory anxiety into positive creative anxiety. :)

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

I'm having nightmares about the new school year! Don't worry. You will be fine. Just take deep breaths. Make a plan and you'll get it all done.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2010

Julie, I forgot what grade level you will be teaching. I know you'll be fine. It's just those "opening night" jitters. The other teachers will be so busy with their kids and having them learn procedures, and they won't be watching you at all. The kids are a bit nervous and excited, too. Have fun this year!

11. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Jul 31, 2010

I'm nervous too. I start my first teaching position in a couple of weeks. What usually happens on the first inservice day for the teachers? I know we have lots of PD going on, as well as time to work on the classroom. I will be co-teaching so I hope to talk to the other teacher this week to see how she sets her classroom up, procedures, etc, since we'll be sharing a room. I have all of these ideas, but don't want to step on any toes since I'll be the new one..ahh!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2010

Julie~you will be great!! I still get nervous too.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

Julie....I am right there with ya on Monday girl! First day of school is Monday....pre planning went well and I love the other staff members...but I worry I am WAY out of practice after being out of the classroom a few years. I just want to make a good impression since I am one of the "new "faces on campus at this close knit school!!

Good luck! :hugs:

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2010

You'll do great, so relax! Is it a teaching position? Can you tell us about it?

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I'll be teaching fifth grade in a charter school that teaches using the expeditionary learning principles.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I still get nervous for day 1. And don't worry about a close knit faculty. There's always room for 1 more. Just be yourself! and breathe!

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

Enjoy yourselves all NEWBIE teachers. This will be a wonderful learning year. Show 'em what ya got!

18. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

When you first start out, my best advice is to over-prepare. Have backup activities and then backups for the backups. There's nothing worse than running out of material. I know--I've been there!

19. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I'm an experienced teacher with five years under my belt.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

Heck, last year as a new teacher to a new district, I was scared. I had plenty of experience. But everything was SO different. I did not know how to get supplies. I did not know standard protocols for the district. I did not know the resources I had available. It was all new and very scary for me too. So, I feel ya!