Scared! Help!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Miss Bliss, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jan 12, 2009

I teach at a private school that does not have any services for children with special needs. Therefore, we need to go to our nearby public school to have meetings and do testing.

For the first time ever in my teaching career, I have encouraged a parent to get her child tested. So she contacted the district and we have a meeting set up in 3 weeks from now. I am totally scared. What if this child is tested and they don't find anything? Will I look like a total idiot for suggesting testing? I really feel like this child needs help, but what if it doesn't take with the district. I guess this is a problem with my confidence. Am I wrong to worry? Thoughts

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 12, 2009

I can understand your anxiety. However if you feel the student is really behind and would benefit from special services, then good for you for speaking up. And speaking as a parent of a child with a disability, not needing special services will probably not make the parent mad at you. They'll probably be relieved. And then you can apologize and say something like, "I'm sorry you had to go through that but it's good that we made sure..."

4. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jan 12, 2009

You teacher instincts tell you that this student needs some extra help, if it's not through special education services than you and the family can work as a team to look for other options. You felt something inside of you that said "let's help this child"...the answer to that is not always special education but that doesn't mean you were wrong to have the feelings you had.

Good luck

5. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Jan 13, 2009

I agree, I would be nervous too. But if you are taking the step that gets her the help she needs, you're really making a difference. You're doing a good thing.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

The student is obviously struggling or you wouldn't have concerns. If the student is tested and nothing is found, that information is just as important as if something is found. We pursue testing for students in order to determine their strengths and needs and so that we can meet those needs. Whatever the results of testing, you will have vital information.