Scared for Teaching Future in CA

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CurioNic, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 2, 2009

MMSW: I was only noting that you had several links there but they only referred to one study. It has little to do with statistics but more to do with giving a visual impression that you have lots of support for your position by posting many links when they are in fact all the same source.

TEACHERGROUPIE
    I haven't asked for any sympathy so I'm not sure why people feel the need to post that. I'm doing absolutely fine at the moment. Because I have a contrarian view about the advice we should be giving prospective teachers, then I must need sympathy? What does that have to do with the discussion?

I suppose I'm in the minority that I think helpful advice should be based on the facts and by doing a cost-benefit analysis, not through inspirational quotes from some sappy self-help book. That is the issue on the table, not my own personal situation. I very much appreciate any thoughts on that debate.

PEACHYNESS
    Sorry to hear about your recent loss. In general yes, of course you should always find a reason to be positive in life and not sweat the small stuff. My issue here is when people claim you need to stay positive about something when negativity is certainly in order. In this case I believe a dash of negativity will get you moving and working in the right direction and get you a job much faster than continuing on the same path with the mere addition of "staying positive."

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2009

Very well, then, MacGuffin: you have my pity.

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

I am an APU grad....you will be getting your CLAD embedded into your Preliminary Credential...that will allow you to work with EL's in CA...if you want any other certification you will have to research how to do obtain it.

I am also one of the thousands of CA teachers who was laid off last school year. I have not been called back to my district, there are about 150 of us that are still waiting for openings.

One of the problems you will find when doing a job search is that very few districts are hiring because they have teachers that they must call back first, or they had to issue a hiring freeze in order to not lay off teachers at all. Most of the listings you will find are for charter schools. Working at a charter school may not be what you want to do long term (or you may find that you love it!) but if given the opportunity, it would be a paying job and you would be gaining experience that will only help you land your dream job when this mess is over! :eek:)

Stay positive (trust me, it's hard but it's the only thing that has been getting me through everything!) and remember, many "Baby Boomer" teachers are reaching the age of retirement and those positions will need to be filled!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2009

Yes, it's very scary out there right now for brand new teachers. My last district has baout 40 teachers that will be called back first based on a hiring list. I am like number 40 on there. :rolleyes: This school district I am at has about 9 (but I thought it was way more). So, it's tough all around.... Just gotta keep on subbing or volunteering, or doing something to get your name out there.

5. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 3, 2009

TEACHERGROUPIE
    Very classy way to respond to somebody who merely has a different opinion to you.

This marks the tenth anniversary of the first time I heard this particular bit of speculation. It hasn't happened yet and it won't be happening in the near future. My guess is it might finally come to fruition ten years from now if we're lucky. Who's up for waiting?

6. MissSkippyjonJones

Dec 3, 2009

I'm sorry that you feel the need to be so negative all the time.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2009

You're not helping your case, MacGuffin.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 3, 2009

I'm not, that's why I left California. However, I was fortunate to be able to relocate, not everyone can. Have you, can you consider looking elsewhere? MacGuffin, I got tired of hearing the retirement speculation as well, because even though I do believe newtograde4 has a great point, that now with the economy being in the tank, it's true the teacher's are hanging on until the last mili-second because they are worried about their retirement. Seems unfair, but that's the sucky reality right now. I have to say, you are doing a good job of isolating yourself. We're trying to be supportive, and you keep coming back with one negative statement after another. I'd get rid of that right quick, or not only will you have a hard time finding a job, you'll have an even harder time finding the friends you need to rally around you for support.

9. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 3, 2009

Just to remind people, the subject of the thread is "Scared for teaching future in California." That's what I've been addressing, I have not once brought up or complained about my own personal situation.

Because I agree with that statement and state the facts that there is no reason to be positive in California today and for the next few years out, then for some reason that means I'm a worthy subject for ad hominem attacks. Excuse me for thinking the person who started this thread wanted me to express the truth as I know it.

Apparently that's not wanted in here. So I'll move on.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 3, 2009

I actually agree with you, MacGuffin, about the state of teaching in CA (and most of the rest of the country) and about how platitudes don't help make the situation any better, but your aggressive writing style is putting people off. There are ways of saying what you said without making people want to throw their keyboards at you.

Also, not all of CA is so bad. There were quite a few job openings here in the Central Valley this year, although a few districts did have a hiring freeze. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near LA and looking for a teaching job, though.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2009

There is indeed a great difference between declining to deal in platitudes and demanding that all others eschew any hope that one chooses not to entertain.

12. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

Exactly. And a corrollary to that is - how does having a negative attitude help you?

13. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 3, 2009

It doesn't necessarily have to be a negative attitude, just a realistic one. Hope for the best but plan for the worst, you know? Apply for all the jobs that you're qualified for, but be working on something as a backup in case you don't get hired. People can say, "Be positive!" all they want, but it's up to the individual job seekers to make their own luck, not just sit back and think positively.

14. CurioNic

CurioNic Rookie

Dec 4, 2009

Thank you so much! I feel that there is a wonderful spectrum of perspectives in response to my post; I appreciate authenticity of the good and the bad, and the life experiences which produce these viewpoints, and am sorry for any discord that arises among us. I suppose in the end, it is relatively moot, since- against logic- I will venture forward with my plan of becoming a teacher, and hope that in two years the economy creates a little more room in the market. I will spend the time volunteering, student teaching and chasing any position, charter or otherwise, that becomes available. But, I am glad to have been forewarned, and do not make these choices lightly, or with an assumption that it will work out as I please. Again, thank you so much for the various perspectives! What a lively discussion! :)

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

You're welcome CurioNic, and I wish you all of the best! You have the right outlook and perspective and that's HUGE!:thumb:

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

:) Good luck CurioNic!

17. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Dec 5, 2009

Try getting a special education certification. With inclusion, the school districts usually view a special education certification as a plus. On top of that, you will be more prepared to work with special needs students in gen ed!

18. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Dec 7, 2009

What part of the Central Valley? I am located in the northern part and am thinking of moving away before going though a credential program in another state. However, I realy realy realy do not want to move so if there some slim hope out there I would love to hear where abouts jobs might be had.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2009

I live in the middle part of the central valley. I know Fresno was hiring and Los Banos.

20. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 7, 2009

Fresno actually had a hiring freeze last year - I didn't see any jobs from them on Edjoin at all. There were jobs in many of the surrounding smaller towns though - Selma, Reedley, Kerman, Visalia, Hanford, Lindsay, etc. I had 2 official interviews (and more at job fairs) before I accepted an offer and requests for 4 more interviews afterwards.

21. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

Wow! Thanks for the info. Moving a little south is certainly much better sounding then moving to another state. Those areas also sound much nicer than Oakland, and are located in some pretty country.
    You have brightened up my day! Thanks!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

Hmmm, my sister in law who teaches in Fresno was telling me about these positions that were opening up. Maybe she meant the surrounding areas then. I know I applied to one in Hanford, but glad that I didn't get the interview as it would've been quite a drive for me.

23. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

There might be jobs opening up in Fresno now - I haven't checked Edjoin lately since I have a job. :) And I don't know if these same districts will be hiring for the next school year. In Edjoin, the counties to search would be Fresno, Tulare, and Kings.

24. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Dec 12, 2009

So my GF and I are seriously thinking of moving to the Inland Empire to be closer to family (We are both in PA right now). She teaches 1st and I am 7-12 Math HQT, both with 5 years experience. From my own research I shouldn't have a problem finding openings on edjoin and the other contacts that I have out west but what about k to 3 jobs? Forget about it or just the luck of the draw to land an interview and the position against 30+ applicants?

25. MissSkippyjonJones

Dec 14, 2009

As a laid off elementary teacher in the I.E., I can tell you first hand, things are not good here. I had a very hard time finding a job, was laid off, and haven't found anything since (other than subbing). Many of our local districts were forced to lay off teachers last year, others had to do a hiring freeze, and I have heard that the same thing may happen again this year. :(