scar tissue

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by lark265, Jul 11, 2016.

1. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

might as well be truthful....I have had six teaching positions in my career and have only been "re-elected" once. The fact that I am a SPED Teacher makes it easier to get hired. This is hard. I think maybe I have been traumatized by some very difficult experiences in (my lack of) classroom management. Often I think about a job flipping burgers at McDonald's but the pay is too low. I am hoping by sharing this here, even though it's anonymous, it will help me, the truth maybe setting me free.......I know I have spent a lot of energy kind of hiding my negative experiences and failures, but that hasn't' gotten me very far. In my classrooms, I have been sworn at, denigrated, humiliated and belittled. I'll write back in a bit......thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2016

Classroom management lays the foundation in any classroom. Learning is compromised when good management is missing.
    What steps have you taken to improve in this area? There are some great websites, books and PD available on this topic. How can we help?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2016

What cza cza says is true, but everyone can improve. Set a few simple goals for a specific period of time, say one month or six weeks. Research everything you can about those areas and ask questions here. Nobody should be belittled, no matter what. That is just plain unprofessional. Have you had a mentor? Can you ask for one?

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 24, 2016

Contact other teachers on your team who have the same students; they may be able to help curb some of the more extreme behaviors. .

6. Ms.Stephens

Ms.Stephens Rookie

Sep 3, 2016

(Keep reading to the end - I promise I make my point!!) I am a student teacher right now, BUT - I am learning more from my field experiences than from any of my books. I have been volunteering with my son's 5th grade class, and as a byproduct have had a chance to see all kinds of situations and how the teachers handled them, and whether their management worked or didn't, etc. I also have a meeting next week with another school to volunteer a couple hours a week as a one-on-one tutor with struggling students, where I hope to get to know more teachers and school staff and experience in a different environment. All that was to say - you might enjoy taking some time off teaching and volunteering with or shadowing some other special education teachers in tough settings to see how they make it work and get some helpful ideas. Getting some experience in those settings without the pressure of being the one in charge has been wonderful!! :) So far, almost everyone I've observed, worked with or volunteered with has been more than willing to let me pick their brains, show me how they've organized their lessons and classrooms, and offer helpful ideas. Most are really candid and willing to share their failures, too, which I learn just as much from, if not more!

If you still love the field and want to get back into it (because we know special ed teachers are always needed!!), I would bet taking some time to relax and learn from others would be a great experience, and you'd come out of it with lots of great ideas.

Best wishes!!
    Colleen

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Sep 3, 2016

thanks....excellent idea (except I really really need the paycheck coming in)......observing like you mentioned, seeing how others handle challenging situations, sounds like it could be very helpful. it is WAY different when you are the only person standing in front of the class. It sure seems like my teacher prep college work was lacking in classroom management training. I mean, we studied different emotional and psychological disabilities and their behaviors, but like I said, it's different when it's you and only you up front......maybe they didn't want to scare people away(?)....it's hard to learn all this stuff now "live" on the job daily.

8. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Nov 25, 2016

Thank you for asking....yes, it is better and I think the reason is that I have begun to trust people a bit more and open up, admit mistakes and be more willing to try different things.....in the past I've had a hard time doing that.....