Scaled Scores with Essays

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Joma, May 15, 2016.

1. Joma

Joma New Member

May 15, 2016

Reviewing Pearson and ETS methodology, I have quite the understanding of raw and scaled scores in regards to multiple choice tests. If one takes an exam that is 70% MC and 30% essay, how does one derive a scaled score if asked 40-50 MC and a written response? I've taken Praxis tests before which have been strictly MC, but Pearson tests, depending on the state, often come with an essay. Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2016

CTEL comprises three subtests; Subtests I and III have one constructed response each, and Subtest II has two. (The Web page calls these "essays", but the study materials call them "constructed responses"; the latter term is more accurate.) The scaled score for each subtest runs from 100 to 300, which means there are 200 scaled points available; since each subtest is split 70% multiple choice to 30% constructed response, it follows that 140 of those scaled points lie in multiple choice questions, and 60 in constructed response. Each CTEL constructed response is scored on a scale from 0 to 4 by two scorers; one's total raw score for constructed response on a subtest is the sum of all constructed response scores, so the Subtest I or Subtest III maximum raw constructed-response score is 8 (which in theory translates into 60 scaled points) while the Subtest II maximum raw constructed-response score is 16 (which in theory also translates into 60 scaled points).

Joma likes this.
  4. Joma

Joma New Member

May 15, 2016

Thank you, that answered my question.