saying goodbye to students you love

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PEteacher07, Apr 3, 2008.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

I might be losing 2 sisters who I adore to a move this summer. Being an elementary PE teacher, I have taught these girls for going on 3 years. They are great kids and work sooo hard in my gym class. They are the fiercest of competitors but are well behaved and polite.

How can I deal with this? I feel like my heart is breaking and I have just been so sad over the past week on hearing the news that this could be happening. :(

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 4, 2008

Its hard to lose students, especially after having them so long and having the potential of not seeing them due to a move. It is heartbreaking. Perhaps, you could do something special- maybe write them a note and let them know you think they are going to go far in life and how much you have enjoyed having them in your class and everything else. Then perhaps you could supply them each with 2 or 3 stamped self addressed envelopes, in the name of your school, its usually not acceptable to use your home address, and ask them to write to you about their new home and new place.
    Its hard and I sympathize with you. It does break your heart and you will always remember those kids. Best wishes. You are obviously a wonderful teacher that truly cares about your students.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2008

Never teach middle school!

I teach a 2 year elective and I'm 10 weeks away from my second rotation ending and it is KILLING me to know I'm going to lose these kids. The end of the first rotation did the same to me. I give them all my email and beg them to keep in touch. Only a very few ever do check back in but that keeps me going. I've recently set up a class website that I hope will keep them coming back but still that isn't the same.

Honestly, this is just something that goes with teaching (or at least good teaching!) You pour your soul into some of these kids just knowing they are going to leave you in a short time. I just have to remind myself all the time that I do what I do for them and not for myself. It still hurts but it helps.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 5, 2008

I worked with my middle school kids for 7 weeks and cried as I walked to my car to leave on my last day. I worked with my high school kids for 7 weeks and hated 2 of my 3 classes, but I still cried on my last day--- then realized I was done with student teaching and that cheered me up a bit.

What I'm finding that helps me is to continue on helping kids, especially by doing volunteer tutoring through a forums site. And praying for the kids too--- God knows where they'll end up at least. Scrapbooking of my favorite memories also cheers me up because I still remember alot of awesome times from elementary school and I'm going to assume my students will remember something from my class as well.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

I know the feeling of kids moving. This one little girl last year really won my heart. She was so sweet, helpful, super smart, and everyone in the class adored her. Then one morning her dad came in, which was very unusual, and said, "Today is her last day. We are moving." No warning. I cried that day and the kids very very sad. She was even holding back the tears as she gave her *crush* a hug goodbye.

7. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Apr 5, 2008

The funny thing is, kids that don't write or email or phone you, may very well remember your name, your dog's name, what clothes you wore, lots of the things you said and did, your lessons--not just the content, but how you did them, 40 years later.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 5, 2008

Aw how very true and very sweet.