Saxon Math?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by amakaye, Jul 15, 2009.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

Anybody out there use Saxon Math? I have used it in 5th grade, but it is very different for 3rd. I would appreciate any hints, tips, or tricks! :):thanks:

3. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I've used it for years. The one thing I learned (especially with the morning meeting) is that it is easy to customize for what you need. I only use about 1/3 of the scripted morning meeting. The rest I adlib based on what my kids need. Also, be prepared to be flexible with the timing of the lessons. Sometimes they script WAY TOO MUCH and you can skip some of the practices because they kids pick it up quickly. Other times you may need to do an EXTRA day to make sure they get it. I would try to have some extra activities on hand. Other than that, I think it is a good program, because the kids really get the concepts by the time they get finished with 3rd. Oh, to help the 4th grade teacher, I would do extra long division BEFORE the end of the year if you can. 3rd grade only touches on it quickly in the last couple of weeks. My class understood it at the time, but pretty much forgot it by 4th grade. Good luck!

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

That's kind of what I was thinking about the meeting, just from looking through it. What parts did you find were most commonly needed? I'm still trying to get a handle on what 3rd graders are like!

5. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 15, 2009

What I focus on the most is problem of the day, pattern of the day, number sentences for the number of the day, and $$. I usually work it out so that everyone does something during the meeting, which keeps them on track better. One of my weekly jobs is the Math helper and this person writes all the answers down and then has to erase it at the end of the day. For money I have 4 or 5 people give me different combinations to equal and amount since and the helper shows them with different coins. This gives 4-5 people the chance to count out money-not just one. I also have multiple people give number sentences (for the same reason). As we get into 2 and 3 digit multiplying and division I add a problem to have someone answer. I draw sticks for each area of the board. Oh, in one of the lessons is does skip counting and a tap, clap snap pattern. My kids LOVED to do this, so this is chosen by draw as well. Afterwards I would do more counting together as needed.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

When I taught 3rd and used Saxon Math I found I had to do quite a bit of supplementing in order to get in the higher level thinking skills. The fact practice was great, but for those students who caught on to the topic quickly I had to be ready to supplement.

7. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

janlee, I completely agree! I have used Saxon for five years and have found that you really have to supplement with problem solving and thinking skills. Saxon is great for repeated practice, but it doesn't teach the students HOW to use the skills in a different format.

In third grade, it covers a great deal of skills that are needed. But, I found it was lacking in application of skills. For example, it will only cover certain math functions in the word problems.

8. DogLover

DogLover Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I agree with everything said. I supplement with Daily Word Problems. A lot of the Saxon Lessons are great as scripted, however certain lessons can be too confusing or too simple so I will teach the concept in a different way or add components. (You'll quickly get a feel for what you can gloss over, depending on your group of kids)You definitely want to do the calendar portion of morning meeting because it ties to multiplication when they learn X7's...I teach at a traditional school and my kids are typically pretty high as a group. Saxon seems really easy at the beginning of the year, however right around 3rd quarter it starts becoming more difficult as the new concepts are introduced rapidly..