Saxon Math?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iheart5thgrade, Aug 18, 2007.

1. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

What do you all know about Saxon Math? Do you enjoy teaching it and would you change textbook series to have Saxon Math? What are the pros and cons of it? Thanks for the input.

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

I haven't used Saxon math, but I've heard its lessons are long. I use their phonics and find it outstanding.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

I haven't used Saxon Math in about eight years. Hopefully, they have improved. I had to supplement a lot to get all of the state standards covered.

5. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I did saxon math when I taught in Oklahoma. I hated it. I felt like it didn't let you know if students understood what you were trying to teach. With doing a couple of problems in the lesson you introduced and then the rest being review, it doesn't let you know if they have a grasp of that concept.
    I just think students need more than a few problems to understand the concept.

6. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

We use Saxon math in second grade at my school and it works okay. We also supplement our lessons with other math activities. However, we do not feel that it offers enough for our third graders in order to get them ready for our state's standardized test.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I am replying to this thread as a parent since I have never taught any type of math. I have 2 children that had Saxon math 1-6 and I hated it. I throughly agree with oustx in that when new concepts were introduced there were only about 4 problems based on that new concept. I am not sure how teachers could ever be sure that students were learning or not learning. I was so glad when my kids moved into jr high and had "regular" math. Learn a new concept, do lots of problems to learn the new concept:)

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

The good thing about Saxon math is that it is a spiriling curriculum. It introduces new concepts but continues to review the old ones. I loved Saxon for the younger grades; but I have heard it is not as good for the older ones.

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I am using it in Kindergarten, and also used grade 3 a few years ago with my daughter, home schooling.

I think it's great for Kindergarten. It allows for discovery time and goes in baby steps. I wasn't as crazy about it for 3rd; it was okay. (Maybe part of that was I felt funny using scripted lessons with my own daughter!)

I think that the scripted lessons also make it easy for a new classroom teacher. There is so much to think about, it's kind of nice to have something spelled out for you.... it actually frees you to observe how the kids are doing with the lessons and activities without getting lost or sidetracked.

10. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 19, 2007

This will be my first time using Saxon too. this is really interesting but not what i wanted to hear..ha ha I have looked though it and it does seem to be long lessons. I think i'm going to have to improvize with this book.

11. akatiegirl

akatiegirl Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I used Saxon last year and it wasn't that great. The lessons weren't presented in any logical order, and they were scripted, which I wasn't too happy about. They do offer some unusual ways to approach different operations, any in 4th grade and lower, they provide all worksheets and tests, but that's about the best I can say for it. My students found about 70% of the lessons to be ridiculously easy, and I agree with the people who say they needed to supplement. I found myself supplementing a great deal, and just being generally dissatisfied. I think it would be great for those who need the extra help in math, but as for use in a general classroom...I wasn't impressed. Sorry for the negative comments, but I hope it helped. Who knows, maybe you'll have a better view of it than I did:)

-Katie