Saxon Math

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Mar 28, 2010.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

We are thinking of doing Saxon for the primary grades... atleast K,1,2.. looking into if it is good for 3 and 4.

Do you as a second grade teacher have any experience with it? Thanks!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 2, 2010

I used it for 7 years and disliked it except for fact practice. Boring, boring, boring, and absolutely no challenge for your higher math students. No problem solving skills. Repetition over and over. I only used it as an intro (as I had to) and then did my own thing, finding activities, sheets, etc. that would TEACH the skill to my class. I strongly feel it would not prepare your 3rd and 4th graders for any state tests they made need to take if problem solving is involved.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 2, 2010

agreed not a fan.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

I've not used it, but another of our elementary schools has it and desperately wants to adopt a new program because they dislike it. Problem solving in particular was a troublesome area, as mentioned by Janlee. They are a K-2 school and we have seen a dramatic drop in the math achievement scores for the 3-5 school that these students move to next - not that test scores can be wholly attributed to this program, of course.

6. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Apr 10, 2010

What do program do you like?

7. Nate

Nate Companion

May 9, 2010

I use it in a SpEd class (admittedly with a lot of outside enrichment activities), and it is a very effective way to teach my students. There's a lot of circling back to previous concepts, and it builds into new concepts well. The 54 book also emphasizes words that signal operations in story problems. I don't know how well I'd like it in gen. ed (where I'm moving next year), but I've led many students to success with it in the resource room.

8. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 9, 2010

I used it as a second grade teacher. The school used it for about two years, then decided it was not challenging enough. A majority of the teachers decided to bump the grade levels - 1st grade would use grade2 materials, 2nd grade use grade3, and so on. I didn't think this was the best fix. At the time, I was a K teacher. The skills were okay to present, but I didn't feel that the lessons, practice, and assessments were developmentally appropriate for 5 year old kids. Once I moved to second grade, this wasn't as much of an issue.

There are some things I loved about Saxon. I loved the spiralling. The concepts weren't taught a chapter at a time. There wasn't a case of teaching a concept in Sept. and not seeing it again until next year.

It is an extremely scripted program. Great for sub days, but very dull by about lesson 100.

This in minor, but the lesson numbering and test placement annoyed me. Every five lessons, there is a lesson a and b. So, even though there were 130 lessons in the table of contents, there were really apr. 155 lessons. Why not just give everything a number? Anyway, lesson B was always a test. It was suggested to test on Friday, and just adjust the lessons accordingly.

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 11, 2010

Our school uses Everyday Math and we like it, but have also found the need to add Otter Creek math facts practice.

10. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 5, 2011

This is my first year teaching and my first year with Saxon in a 2nd grade classroom. I agree with everyone else. BORING.I love love love the fact practice, but that's it. There is no challenge, and no critical thinking. I'm at lesson 75 and bored to tears and implementing centers next week to get away from the 2 sided, guided practice and homework worksheet. I'm slowly weening them off of them, only choosing a few problems from each page to reinforce the skills they need work on and only send the homework side home about once a week for extra practice. We're using it because we're a new school and it was donated to us, but if we get the chance, I'll suggest we ditch it, although I will keep and use the fact practice in the future! I feel there aren't enough math programs that use this! Also, about the spiraling... I prefer this spiraling as it reinforces the concepts throughout the year instead of year after year-- over Everyday Math that is...

11. TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest Rookie

Feb 6, 2011

Singapore primary math is great :)

12. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 12, 2011

I have heard that singapore is good. We have used Saxon for years and our kids test result have been great. We do teach a year ahead like previously posted. 1st grade teaches 2nd, 2nd teaches 3rd. We also suppliment with critical thinking challenges.

13. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

Very interesting cheer. The school that donated the materials to us did the same. All of the 3rd grade materials were in the 2nd grade boxes, etc. We still have about 30 days of school left and only about 5 days of Saxon left. Time to implement some other materials! We are almost definitely getting new curriculum next year, but we are still looking into our options.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 20, 2011

I'll speak as a parent...hate Saxon. My daughter went backwards in math during second grade (it's a long story as to why she only had Saxon in second grade--suffice it to say, it was not supposed to be happening, but was).