SAT prep vocabulary

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ADAW, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ADAW

ADAW Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

I am looking for a workbook or teacher's manual that has a good list of vocabulary words/definitions for 7th grade SAT prep. Can anyone recommend one or suggest a place to look. Thank you in advance!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2009

There are dozens of them out there, but the problem I have with all of them is that you teach words in isolation - maybe as a themed list, true, but rarely do they have anything to do with anything else you're doing in class.

That being said, I would encourage you to teach as many stems as possible in middle school - lots of Greek and Latin roots.

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I, too, suggest using Greek and Latin roots (and not just because I'm a Latin teacher!) I tutor SAT prep, and knowing the roots can be really beneficial. Also, by focusing on a Greek or Latin root, one can develop a thematic assignment.

I have some great prefix/suffix and root sheets. PM me if you'd like me to scan them and send you an e-mail with them. Most are at school, so it may take a few days, but I could certainly send them to you.

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Are there any books you might suggest on teaching word roots? That's what I had already planned to do with my ACT prep.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

I've had a little experience with Vocabulary from Classical Roots, which is available in several volumes - I don't think it's being published any more, but they have it on Amazon.

Actually, I just ordered a used copy of an older edition of The Least You Should Know About Vocabulary Building: Word Roots, because I'm a word nerd and it looks interesting. For four dollars, I'll take a shot! I should have it in a couple of days (love having Amazon Prime) and I'll let you know what I think of it.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Thanks! I saw that one too.

8. azure

azure Companion

Jun 19, 2009

Word Within a Word and The Magic Lens.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

There are also all of those cute little books that incorporate SAT words into them. The first was called Tooth and Nail, but there have been several more published since then.

10. warren22.2

warren22.2 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

learning vocabulary= learning second language

As an SAT teacher, I encourage my students to make the words a part of their lives. I tell them to use the words around their families, on the internet, when text messaging, in their writings, and etc.

That way instead of memorizing arbitrary words for the sake of a test, the students are internalizing it to become relevant in their lives.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2009

Of course, that's what we hope to do. That's why I use words that are relevant to the discussion of my students' current reading. :)

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2009

The Least You Should Know About Vocabulary Building: Word Roots arrived today, and is a nice, compact little book with a good set of roots. I'll use the roots and some of the background material with my classes, but not the exercises (I just don't do fill-in-the-blank worksheets with my seniors.)

13. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

Thanks for the information!

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I noticed these books are labeled A, B, C. Is that the level? And do I need to buy the answer key as well?

Thanks!

15. ADAW

ADAW Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

From what I gathered, A is for 7th grade, B is for 8th grade, and so on. I also noticed there was a Teacher's edition which I will be purchasing as well. Thank you all for the great responses. I appreciate it immensely.