Sarah Palin reacts to teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by HMM, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

Well, she was never getting my vote anyway.... just another reason NOT to vote Palin if she runs for the next term.

I bet she'd really be a great supporter of education!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

I don't want to start a debate, but that teacher made teacher's look bad coming after Sarah the way she did before the smirk or whatever it was.

Love or not like Sarah...no one should have to stand there & listen to how she quit & all she wanted was celebrity & have to walk up to a sign that says worst governor ever. Not that I'm agreeing with Sarah's reaction, but you have to see the whole video as well.

5. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I agree DizneeTeachR. Plus around my area most teachers that are in the union are almost forced to donate money to the democrat party- I don't see anything wrong with her reaction.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

She had every right to express her views, this is America. I think Palin camp overreacted and I wish she would just go away. Aren't her 15 minutes of fame way over?

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

I don't believe she was forced to be there. It was her choice.

If the teacher had said that she was a democrat and Sarah rolled her eyes and said ohh then I wouldn't really have a problem with that (she disagrees with all democrats). The problem is that she did it when the other lady said she was a teacher (does Palin have a problem with all teachers?).

8. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

Well, she didn't have to; she could have walked away. Actually, she didn't have to pay any attention to it at all. She approached the teacher, with her private (probably armed) security personnel, to confront her on it. That she did approach her is a point in Palin's favor, in my mind. The way she approached her, however, left quite a bit to be desired.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

One of the comments regarding the video suggested the person was a teacher's aide instead of a certified teacher, not that it excuses Palin's reaction in any way.

I also got irritated with the bodyguard (or whatever) that kept trying to block the video camera. Sarah Palin chose to approach this woman, so there shouldn't be any problem with it being recorded. I think the guy finally realized that or was told to just let it go.

Oh, I also love Bristol coming to mommy's defense and saying "She represents the UNITED STATES!" Uhmm...no, she doesn't. She represents the Republican Party, perhaps, but NOT the entire United States.

Palin had a few other very condescending reactions. When the teacher complained about her quitting the office she says "Oh you WANTED me to be your governor?" I liked the teachers response to that; "No. I wanted you to fulfill the duties of your office."

Also, when the teacher asks Palin HOW she is fighting for her freedoms and the Constitution, Palin acts astonished "OH MY GOODNESS" (slaps her thighs). Almost like she is saying "Have you REALLY not seen me on TV?"

I have tried very hard to give Sarah Palin credit. I felt she was thrown into a political ring that was way over her head with virtually NO prep at all and, so, it was understandable that she looked rather foolish sometimes. But the more I see of her, the more I cannot deny that she is simply very ignorant on a number of levels.

The "Aw Shucks, You Betcha" hockey mom routine might have worked in Alaska, but it definitely doesn't sell well to the general masses. And if it isn't an act, that is even scarier.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that. Those eye rolls are hard to control, I know that from experience :p!

Nice to see an honest reaction from a politician for once. ;) I just wonder where that came from-most people react the opposite way.

11. jd019

jd019 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Maybe her rolling of the eyes was her thinking " Teaching is a tough job I wouldn't want". I think people need to lay off her.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

While filming the Alaska documentary in Homer, I had a brief discussion with a local lady who, in typical Alaska style, decided to give me her two cents worth about my political leanings, American politics in general, and much else besides. It’s what makes our politics so uniquely democratic: two people discussing the things they care about, even though they respectfully disagree about just about everything (you can watch a brief video of the encounter here).

The LSM has now decided to use this brief encounter for another one of their spin operations. They claim I – wait for it – “appear to roll my eyes” when the lady tells me she’s a teacher. Yes, it’s come to this: the media is now trying to turn my eyebrow movements into story lines. (Maybe that’s why Botox is all the rage – if you can’t move your eyebrows, your “eye rolling” can’t be misinterpreted!) If they had checked their facts first, they would have known that I come from a family of teachers; my grandparents were teachers, my father was a teacher, my brother is a teacher, my sister works in Special Needs classrooms, my aunt is a school nurse, my mom worked as a school secretary for much of her professional life, we all volunteer in classrooms, etc., etc., etc. Given that family history, how likely is it that I would “roll my eyes” at someone telling me that they too work in that honorable profession? Stay classy, LSM.

One good thing to come out of this little episode, though, is that it helps to remind people once again that Alaska is a great state full of independent-minded people. I look forward to introducing you to some of them in the forthcoming documentary series on life in Alaska! The show will remind you to get outdoors, breathe in God’s creation, and taste the freedom!

- Sarah Palin

13. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Palin's reaction is the kind I see when people believe the old saying those who can do, those who can't teach. Maybe that is why she got her degree in

Communications

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

It would be easy to walk away, but if you saw a huge sign that has your name & that your the worst at something I think you would, by nature, be curiuos & want to find out why the person thinks that. I thought the way the teacher handled it was pretty rude as well.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

I'm sorry. I watched the video several times. Not only does she definitely roll her eyes, she then looks at Bristol and seems to smirk like "Oh, she's one of those people". Despite her statement assuring us otherwise, it's pretty hard to explain away her obvious reaction. This is not an "LSM" thing. The video is on YouTube and you can watch the entire clip for yourself. I agree the teacher was rude too, especially her comment about Palin "swearing on her precious Bible". That was uncalled for. But Palin's reactions become patronizing and condescending almost immediately.

Seriously, I've done my best to defend Sarah Palin and give her extra chances. When she announced she would be leaving her position in Alaska, it was naturally assumed (and still is) that she would begin working towards a campaign as the Republican nominee in 2012 and I sincerely hoped that, given the time and staff to PREPARE herself for interviews, debates and sound bytes, she would show Americans her true intelligence.

Unfortunately, I feel that is exactly what she has done....shown that her critics were right all along.

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.