Santa

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JustMe, Dec 14, 2006.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2006

You mean there is No such thing as Santa:eek: :p

I think it's wishful thinking.... and hey, that's no so bad. Sometimes it's the fantasy of it all that keeps the kids enthralled.

4. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 15, 2006

Yes, at that age "SOME" still do believe! Yes, "SOME" are out doing things that they shouldn't. As a parent of a 9 month old, 11 year old, and 15 year old we go full force with Santa. I am sure this was a learning lesson for you too. My 11 year old has never said anything about Santa not existing. My 15 year old questioned it when he was in 6th grade and it was because a teacher mentioned it. The teacher read a book and then explained there was no Santa. (So sad) I ended up buying the book you read for him.

Just be prepared that you Might have a couple parents say something to you. A few parents went to the teacher that read the book to my son's class.

My kids ( including my oldest) leave cookies out, look for Santa's boot prints in the morning and everything. Innocence in children STILL does exist-just believe.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 15, 2006

I didn't find out till out till 5th grade. But you have to believe to receive!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2006

With all the bad things out there today, I would love for some kids to really be able to beleive in Santa.

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 15, 2006

When my 5th graders tell me that there is no Santa....Santa is really mom & dad I explain to them why I believe there is a Santa. They get to grinning and suddenly "believe" again. When they say "Mom & Dad are Santa" I simply say "See.....THEY exist right?....So Santa exists!" They're once again filled with excitement...Even though they "know" it's mom and dad...It still holds excitement....Heck, I'm 23 and this will be my second Christmas on my own (not in my parents house) and Santa still visits and leaves presents at Mamma & Daddy's for me :-D

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2006

I found out in 4th grade because another student told me. We still play Santa at our house though (ours and my parents house), even though we are all grown up and moved out. It's just fun that way. My brother found out when he was in 3rd grade and he was LIVID at my parents for lying to him. And I mean LIVID.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2006

There are lots of levels of believers. I never believed in Santa, DH believed until he was 13, and one of my cousins still believes at 17 . . . yes, seriously.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2006

Well my kids are 19 and 15 and they BETTER believe or else all the Santa presents are gone!!! The believe just for me. Now what they tell their friends is another story.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 15, 2006

I didn't find out until I was in the 5th grade. My mom toldme the truth when I was delerious on the couch one year. I'm the oldest of quite a few, and after that I always got to be Santa for my younger siblings until one of them found out. That was a great lesson (and great fun!) Santa does so exist. It's ME!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2006

13. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

I stopped believing in second grade. Innocence is children these days is refreshing, but a 15 and a 17 year old believing in santa seems a little unhealthy. And parents making their children "believe" in an imaginary flying fat guy in order to get gifts doesn't seem to healthy either. No offense, that's just my opinion.

Seemed like about half of my third graders believed in Santa.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 18, 2006

In my opinion, Santa is the personification of love and generosity. That's what he is (or should be) all about. It does seem that the focus is on the gifts, but once the kids start in with the disbelief about Santa that's what I emphasize.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2006

My fifth graders believe... I believe in the spirit of generosity as well. Santa still comes to my house for my dh & me.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

Santa over the jaded, wizened, know-it-all stuff any day. I always loved the not-knowing part. I honestly don't recall how I 'found out'. It wasn't a one-time event. My mother never came out and said it. I prefer the "you never know .... anything is possible" method. Like the Polar Express message.

Awwww, Miss Frizz, hope you took it okay.

17. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2006

I believed until 3rd grade. My teacher told me. I remember coming home to ask my parents. I didn't want to belive they had lied. I was devastated and really still wanted to belive.

Gram always said, "When you stop believing in Santa, you start getting underwear for Christmas!"

19. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2006

My kids are 15 and 19 and I am not that stupid to believe that they still believe and I know for a fact that they haven't in years and years and years but it is still fun to get gifts from Santa. Heck, I know married people whose parents still put from Santa on the tags. It's all part of the magic of Christmas and I will be putting From Santa on their gifts for years to come.

20. Brian K. R.

Brian K. R. New Member

Dec 20, 2006

I have always been an avid supporter of Santa. I have two children of my own, 1st grade daughter and 3rd grade son, and I am always making contact with the big guy on their behalf. I love the fun of it.
    I must admit my wife thinks I carry it a bit too far at times but I cannot help myself.

I was in the 6th grade myself before I finally accepted the truth about Santa. I did have my doubts for a few years but I kept on beleiving. It helps my feelings that so many children do still believe in Santa Clause. I am always talking about him to my high school students. They get a kick out of it and I do too.

Good luck to your future thought provoking projects.

Brian

21. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2006

To everyone who thinks the magic of Santa is terrible should read "The Autobiography of Santa Claus." It is a book for adults. It is great. It has 24 chapters so you are to read a chapter a night starting December 1st. It certainly will bring the magic back and get you into the holiday spirit.

22. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 20, 2006

Bless all their little hearts for still believing! With all that is going on in the world today, I find it refreshing to hear about kids that are hanging on to their innocence a bit longer than most. Yes, Santa lives!!!

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Good for you Rosieo!:D

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2006

Don't worry Daisy It's nothing a little therapy won't cure:D :p

25. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 21, 2006

Hey...I still write to Santa every year... (and some years I even get what I asked for)

AMK...you got it...you have to believe to receive...
    the Tooth Fairy...the Easter Bunny...Santa Claus...
    and just to be mischievious...God