Sand pails..what to do with them??

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by paige407, May 10, 2009.

1. paige407

paige407 Rookie

May 10, 2009

I purchased sand pails at the dollar store (one for each student). Wondering if anyone has any cute ideas on either how the kids could decorate them, or perhaps a way to incorporate them into a year-end gift to the kids. Thanks so much!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 10, 2009

Sounds like a great anchor present/basket item.

A few sand type toys, a book (perhaps about sand or parks).

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2009

You could get the students to sign each other's pail and then put their end of the year presents in it.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2009

Write the name of your preschool on it too.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 10, 2009

OH!!!! Letter stickers or somekind of Vista print sticker of your school!!! Great advertizing!!! And I agree---summer present holder.

7. paige407

paige407 Rookie

May 10, 2009

Thank you so much! I love all of the ideas. I already have a book for each of them about going to kindergarten ~ so, I can add that. I am sure I can find some inexpensive summer fun items as well (back to the Dollar Tree I go). I like the idea of the kids writing their names on it (I just hope I can keep them from the BIG writing). I will definitely add our school name/logo..we need to get the enrollment up!!

8. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

May 11, 2009

How about the title We Had Buckets of Fun This Year! It would be cute (if you could) to put some gummy worms in!

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 11, 2009

i see snack that day as the dirt cup idea but updated for sand.

crumble up the tan grahm crackers, cover a serving of pudding (but I use yogurt) add a drink umbrella and perhaps a rectangle of fruit rollup or remaining g cracker.

cute!!

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 11, 2009

how about putting some inexpensive items in it that they can use over the summer at home to keep up with their skills--maybe crayons, markers, pad of paper, pencil, water color paints etc?

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

May 24, 2009

I buy pails every year for my student's end-of-year gift. I write their name on the "front" with a Sharpie using "dot writing" and then stick some shiny summer stickers around it.

Here are a few things I put in it:
    *I put a letter to the parent in the front with LOTS of suggestions attached (i.e. setting up a small "school" area (or box) at home for the summer, making a writing box, art box, etc.)
    *I print off "game boards" from the internet and copy on cardstock. (www.theschoolbell.com is a good one.)
    *I paint one side of lima beans and count out 50 in a sandwich bag for each child.
    *I print out directions to games for the parents to play with the child over the summer.
    *I put in a bag or box of crayons.
    *I put in several pipe cleaners (or whatever they're called now.)
    *I'm not usually a "worksheet" kind of teacher, but I collect lots of coloring/learning pages over the year and put a bunch in a ziplock bag along with other papers (and blank paper too).... keep reading.
    *I print out a traceable full name of each child and make a dozen copies (one for each week of summer). (www.handwritingworksheets.com is the website I use)
    *I also print out a traceable alphabet sheet for each letter. (I use www.kidzone.ws )
    *I print ABC and Number flashcards and copy on cardstock to use to "Play Games".
    *I fold and staple 2 peices of copy paper to make "summer books".(I still call it typing paper... it dates me.)
    *A cheap book that I get at the Scholastic Book Fair Warehouse sale.
    *A calendar that I get from The Mailbox online that I can type in daily activites then print. NOTHING LONG only a 5 minute activity... except reading (20 minutes of reading with a family member every day, one day tracing name, one day tracing abc page, etc, one day playing a game, etc.)
    *I also put in a bottle of bubbles
    *AND a small snack bag of "treats" they can use to reward themselves for "playing school" over the summer.... I use Skittles.
    *LAST I put a copy of all the pictures I've taken over the year on a CD in so the parents can have pictures of their child's 1st year of public school. :love:

and, YES it is very heavy when they take it home. :cool:

12. pabef

pabef Comrade

May 26, 2009

If you have extra pails and need a use, I came up with this idea called the story bucket. My kids always want to color coloring book pages, and I just like more process art. But sometimes when I need a rainy day or "rowdy" day quiet activity, I make copies of random coloring book pages and let them color. I have them put them in buckets after coloring and divide them in groups. I give each group a bucket. One child pulls out a picture and starts a story based on that pic. Another child in the group pulls out another pic and continues the story and they keep repeating until the have finshed the story. I let the kids help decorate the buckets with foam stickers.