San Antonio Questions...(SAISD)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wmubronco, Apr 14, 2010.

1. wmubronco

wmubronco Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

I am in the process of interviewing for a position with SAISD and have a few questions, if anyone happens to know:

-General thoughts on the city and living there in general (Cost of living, city life)

-Teaching at SAISD, I understand that the schools are not the best but that doesn't scare me. I am more concerned about support from admin and support in general I guess.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated from anyone willing to share.

Thanks!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2010

Check out the City Data Forums for San Antonio for a wealth of information regarding the city.

I live in Austin, but have enjoyed visiting San Antonio several times. Speaking of my state in general, Texas is awesome. :)

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 14, 2010

I love Texas too and I am a transplant!

5. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 15, 2010

I too love my TX! I can not offer too much about school districts but as of cost of living, I spent a few summers there with friends in college between semesters and a MUCH lower cost of living than the DFW Metroplex area and much slower way of life. I did not feel as rushed or as ansy as I sometimes get up here. All in all, it appears to be a place I'd like to live. Good luck to you!

6. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Apr 15, 2010

I too am I huge fan of Texas, born and raised.

My wife grew up in San Antonio, so we visit often.

Hands-down, San Antonio is the best big city to live in (for me anyway).

All the other places, such as Houston and DFW, are waaaaaaaay too fast-paced and what I consider "dirty." Of course, I'm a small-town boy, so my perceptions are pretty skewed.

But, that being said, San Antonio is still a place I can relax and enjoy, even though I grew up in a small town. And ... San Antonio has a population of 1.2 million.

That's saying a lot for me.

7. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

LOL! Sorry this made me laugh because I interviewed with them last month.

San Antonio is a beautiful city! You will love it here. I have heard nothing but good things about SAISD. Good luck and I hope we both get jobs there!

8. wmubronco

wmubronco Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

Thanks to everyone for the input, I really like what I have heard so far. If anyone else has any info it would be appreciated.

Lakenjade,

I actually had a phone interview with them this afternoon, which I thought went pretty well. They recommended I come down for the SAISD Job Fair on May 15th...so I am seeing if I can afford to fly in for the weekend.

Did you interview with HR or an individual principal? How did it go?

Good luck to you too.

-Joe

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2010

I worked in SAISD and loved it. The people are wonderful. Despite what people say, the schools aren't as bad as they sound.

San Antonio is a fabulous place to live - awesome cost of living, tons of things to do no matter what you're into....

GO FOR IT!

10. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 16, 2010

San Antonio is a lot of fun! I loved it when I visited but Texas overall is an amazing state so you can't go wrong with all the big cities here!

11. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Apr 16, 2010

I interviewed with HR, Mr. Tobin to be exact. It was a screening interview they said. I think it went ok. I won't go so far as to say that it went great and I know that I could have done better. I am supposed to go to the job fair on the 15th too!

I am a little down lately but am praying that SOMEONE hires me for a job soon.

12. wmubronco

wmubronco Rookie

Apr 16, 2010

I booked my flight tonight, so I am going to be there. I'm starting to send out emails w/ resumes directly to each principal to SAISD. The hope is that when I show up, a few will want to talk to me.

It will all work out, you'll get a job, as we all will. :)