Sample Lesson Plan for Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Mar 10, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Mar 10, 2015

This is my third interview - and the first one to ask for a sample lesson plan.

I just graduated in December with a Masters of Arts in Teaching. All of the information/strategies/methods I learned is still fresh on my mind. As well as many lesson plans that are still on my computer ;)

However, I don't want to "cheat." Not saying that using old lesson plans are cheating, but I feel that I want to be judged on how I am now - not how I was a few months ago.

Are there any suggestions and what to do for the sample lesson plan?

I know they are using SpringBoard - but I do not have access to this book. I know it would be rather impressive to use SpringBoard in my lesson plan, but I don't want to just make something up.

At the same time, I don't think I should just make up a lesson plan. It's hard to do that when I am not sure what the lesson plan should be about! So many options...

I am certified in middle math and the position is for a 7th grade math position. I know I need to use 7th grade standards, and of course ENGAGE, ENGAGE, ENGAGE! However, I don't want to make it look super fake. The lesson plan can be perfect, but that doesn't mean the actual lesson will go according to plan.

Thanks for your help! :thumb:

3. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 11, 2015

I included two sample lesson plans in my portfolio. They were from my student teaching placement, and I chose the ones that had students actively involved. I also included a reflection on the lesson at the bottom, but that's something I do anyway.

4. pineapplecake

pineapplecake Rookie

Mar 11, 2015

I wouldn't start from scratch! Use something you taught in student teaching, or try to finagle something you taught to fit the 7th grade standards. If you have experience with the material, you'll have a better idea of whether it's a strong lesson or not.

I haven't been asked for sample lesson plans, but I would go with a lesson I already taught that I was really excited about! The big things they seem to like in my area are real-life connections and using technology, so I would try to include those on mine.

Good luck!

5. HockeyFan13

HockeyFan13 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015

I was in this same situation last week. I was very unsure about what type of lesson to use but after a conversation with a co-worker decided to go with a lesson I had fun teaching and that the kids enjoyed. I made sure to include sample student work that highlighted the best results of the lesson. I'm assuming the lesson plan impressed the principal because I received an email today asking for a follow-up interview! Good luck in your job search :)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2015

Whatever you end up doing, be sure that your plan includes all the components of an effective lesson. There are lots of CEL templates out there for you to browse.