Same Sorry State.....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by txhotrod, Aug 23, 2010.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

it is SO aggravating-as so many of you know!!-

apply, apply, call, call, email, email.....and nothing:mad:

and then two interviews this month and nothing....i just dont understand how i cant even get an aide spot ..... cert. teachers do it all the time....and yet i cant...and what makes me maddest is they dont have anything bad to say about me...i did a great job in the interview:dizzy: how is that???? if i came across as good as I am then WHY NOT HIRE ME?????

I'm just glad to have found this site and now realize its not just me its everywhere ..... and my name is not on some secret blacklist of do not hire:)

3. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 23, 2010

What part of Texas are you in? I found half a dozen new postings in the districts I applied to and got a call for an interview today. Keep checking!

4. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

im in north east texas...plano, richardson, allen, area
    how about you??

5. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I understand how you feel, I'm not from Texas but here in Ohio it sucks big time. I am ready to throw the towel in.

6. Teacher1920

Teacher1920 New Member

Aug 24, 2010

Hey TXHOTROD...I understand how you feel...I live in lewisville...had some interviews but no offers. Im still keeping hope alive, im lined up to sub and im keeping my eye on the websites for new openings and some of my friends that got jobs are keeping me in mind in case of some over flows and new teachers are needed.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

So, are you applying to a ton of jobs, and only getting a few interviews? Maybe we can vamp up your resume/cover letter!

Or, are you able to get a decent about of interviews? Maybe we could help you out on your interviwing skills.

Do you ever call the district and ask how you did. The worst they can say is, no, they can't tell you. But, if they do, then the information can be invaluable.

Perhaps you are overqualified. If you are applying to aide jobs and you have a teaching credential, that COULD backfire. Some places, it won't, but in others, it will.

Are you following up on your interviews with thank you letters?

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

I agree with Peachy. Post your resume/cover letter here. A lot of districts are cutting back on their teaching staff.

9. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

@ Peachy i actually just posted and redid my resume earlier this month (this after having redid it at the beg of summer) But I dont mind posting it again :) its only my millionth version

i just did not get ANY interivews and the one i had earlier this month was only bc i knew a teacher who know the lead @ the school and has seen me work--i preped HARD for this one it was a K spot and I wanted it BAD!!!

interview #2 came from me emailing elem schools in plano on my side of town and it was an ece p who said it was the only spot they had and sometimes teachers take aide jobs to get in.....and BOTH gave me great feedback--could not give me areas of weakness...I just was not "the best fit"...whatever that means....

10. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Resume....dont look at formating it did not copy right

MY PERSONAL CONTACT INFO HERE

Professional Competencies(this is done in two columns in bullet format)
    — Effective Classroom Management
    — Flexibility
    — Positive Collaboration with Team Members
    — Creative Lesson Planning
    — Curriculum Development
    — Differentiated Instruction —
    Conduct Small Group Learning
    — Learner Assessment Formal/Informal
    — Student Engagement
    — Special Needs Students/IEPs
    — Implement Standardized Testing
    Teacher/Parent Communication

Experience
    Wylie ISD, 2009~2010
    Substitute Teacher: Elementary level
    •Successfully manage students and implement lesson plans designated by classroom teacher

Preschool, 2007~2010, cITY,TX
    Teacher: 3yr old classroom
    •Taught basic concepts in colors, shapes, letter/number recognition and sound in fun hands on activities
    •Fostered a love and desire for learning in students
    •Instructing students individually and in groups, adapting teaching methods to meet students' varying needs and interests
    •Providing daily communication with parents

Richardson ISD, Garland ISD, & Plano ISD, 2002~2004
    Substitute Teacher: Elementary level
    •Successfully manage students and implement lesson plans designated by classroom teacher
    •Repeatedly requested by schools and teachers for both long and short term assignments for all elementary levels (K-6th)

Pre School, 2001~2002, CITY, TX
    Teacher: PK
    •Developed hands-on, open-ended activities to prepare students for success in kindergarten
    •Guided in appropriate social development and conflict resolution
    •Provided daily communication with parents and a parent conference twice during the school year

XYZ Elementary, 2000~2001, cITY,TX
    Teacher: Kindergarten
    •Implemented the district adopted curriculum using best practices to achieve student success and interest
    •Used both informal and formal assessment to guide instruction
    •Provided daily and weekly communication with parents

Professional Development
    2/08 Brain Development Workshop by Gayle Fuller Med
    11/07 Enhancing Literacy Development by Dr. Judith Gasser
    6/05 Hot Topics in Social Studies (Region 10)
    4/04 Habits of The Mind (Region 10)
    3/04 Dyslexia Assessment: The Process (Region 10)
    2/04 Differentiated Instruction in Math (Region 10)
    9/03 Serving Low Incidence Children & Youth with Disabilities in High Standards Environment (Region 10)
    ESL Certification Prep Class (Region 10)
    3/01 Kindergarten Conference BER
    6/00 Kindergarten Reading Academy

Education & Credentials
    TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY @ COMMERCE — Commerce, TX
    BA in Elementary Education, 2000
    Texas Standard Teacher Certification: Elem Self Contained, ECE (Grades pK-6), and ESL (EC-4)

11. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Oh and yes...applied to LOTS OF JOBS...always looking on district pages and anything 2nd and under applied to, called to follow up, and always on region 10 website....

looked almost daily all summer and still doing it.

and did thankyou notes to both interivews

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

I think I would take out the bulleted format first half of the resume. Those can be included in your experience. Add your certification so employers are not having to guess at what you're certified in. Make sure that your verbs are consistantly past tense in your resume. I noticed that sometimes you had them in past tense if they were, but other times they were in the present tense even though you no longer work there.

13. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I totally understand the checking websites business. I applied to 64 districts around the state and check each of them daily for updated postings. Make sure you keep checking teacherjobnet for updated postings. I found several new elementary jobs there in the last 2 days.