Sales?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ashlee, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

I remember last year there being sales at Target/Walmart, etc for crayons for a $.01, etc. Does anyone know when they are normally?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

A few more weeks into the summer; I think around the end of July.

4. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Most of the sales happen late August or early September, after all the school districts are back in session

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2007

I really depends on where you are. Here since we start back the beginning of August, our sales start the middle of July. Wal-Mart already has spiral notebooks 10 for $1.00. I have already bought 100 of them.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 29, 2007

In Texas we have a "tax-free" weekend, I think it is the first weekend of August. All of the stores have a big sale on school supplies and clothes. It is a very big shopping weekend for a lot of people. The first year it was a last minute thing, but since then people will save money up and spend it all at once at the tax-free sales.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2007

We have the same thing here, but the stores are way too crowded. I'm going to get most of my shopping done before then. Ours is August 3-5.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 30, 2007

My walmart has 3 empty aisles where they are getting ready to put school supplies, so the sales should start in a couple of weeks. It's usually mid-July here becuase school starts in August. Staples had a ton of $.01 stuff last year, I hope they do this year, too.

9. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

Did they really have stuff for a penny???? I'm going to be watching for ads then because I'm a first-year teacher at a brand new school so I don't have ANYTHING for my room yet! Thanks for the tips and I will let everyone know if I see any sales going on.:)

10. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 2, 2007

My Wal-mart already has Crayola boxes of 24 crayons for 25 cents!!! I bought 50 boxes! (Rose art 14 cents...but I don't like them as well)
    The only 1 cent sales in this area that I remember are the buy one get one for 1 cent. Is that what ya'll mean?

11. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I bought 8 cases of spirals last year, and about the same of pocket folders with brads. I got crayons, markers, paper, glue, and pencils at Walmart VERY cheap!!

I still have folders and spirals left, and don't plan on buying "quite" as much this year!LOL!! But, it sure does make it nice because my school is so low income.

12. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Last year Office Depot had pencils and folders for 1 cent. The sell started about the last week in July. I will be getting them this year.:)

13. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 2, 2007

I think it was Staples that had the 1 cent items. Boxes of pencils, folders, hand held pencil sharpeners, and maybe a few other things. That's what I can remember right now.

14. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Thanks goopp I was trying to remember the store I bought the 1 cent items from.

15. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I had heard about the penny items, so that's what I'm waiting for! I might go to Walmart for those $.25 crayons though!!!

16. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I just came from my local walmart. I saw the 24 count crayola colors and elmers school glue for $.20 . They also had 10 count crayola markers (thin and regular) for $.88! Plus they already have a few things from the teacher's section on display....nice big red pocket chart for about $9.

School doesn't start for us until August 27th so I'm excited that they seem to be starting so early! I didn't get to buy anything because I was with my husband and he frowns on my stocking up on school supplies....it will just have to wait till he's at work tomorrow!

17. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

I usually buy enough pocket folders so that my students can have a new "take-home" folder every six weeks (they totally shred them) so it's 22 x 6 = big bucks, unless I catch them at Target for 10 cents. Then it's only $13.20 plus tax.

I also buy crayons, glue, etc., because at my Title 1 school, only about half the kids bring supplies. Do any of the big national stores have markers on sale? That's what cost me the most last year.

If anybody sees those plastic school boxes for 10 cents again, like they were at Wal Mart two years ago, please post. I need to replenish my supply.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

Target, Walmart, Kmart, Staples, Office Depot, Walgreens, CVS,Rite Aid and Office Max have supply sales here. Remember that Walmart price matches any sale ad within a certain distance. They usually match and/or beat the sale prices every week anyway.

I bought a boat load of the Staples stuff last year. Also bought the .08 cent spirals and a ton of the folders w/ brads. I do the same color for the whole class, and then before school starts I laminate them with a paper I printed out on the front with our school name, my name, and a pic of the school mascot. It will last the whole year that way.

19. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Hey,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Staples is having their 1 cent sale next week: July 8th-14th. Go to www.staples.com to view the sale ad.

20. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

OtterMom... Do you laminate your take-home (ours are for Homework) folders? Ours last all year long. We put a computer-generated page on the back with their name in print and practice lines below so they can practice writing; the front cover has their first/last names and a row of numbers to trace. We glue all that stuff on and laminate them. We then slice through the laminate where the pockets are supposed to open, and wah-la! I would hate to spend the money to keep redoing them!

21. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

with folders and notebooks I tell them I give them ONE and then after that they have to come up with something. If I know the student can't afford it I will get another but most times this does cut down on the wear and tear. Also I laminate them.

22. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

This weekend Staples (at least in Michigan) is having 1 cent sales on pencils, folders, glue, etc. (Limit 3, so take some friends!)