Sales background getting into teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kwan619, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Kwan619

Kwan619 New Member

Jun 8, 2015

If all my work background is in sales. Yet, I have a history degree and have been looking into teaching, how can I reflect my sales experience in my resume to demonstrate teaching ability in the social studies?

3. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jun 9, 2015

Quick question: do you have a teaching certification of any kind at this point? Social studies is a VERY saturated area, so principals can be picky. Although this is not always true, social studies teachers often double as coaches.

Also, you could mention that you are very skilled in working with people. If you are in sales, do you have a great personality that would allow kids to get excited about the content and learning?

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 9, 2015

Unless you coach, you would not be hired for social studies in my area. Social studies endorsements are the easiest to get in Oklahoma because most general education classes will count for it. So I would venture to guess that over 50% of teachers in Oklahoma have it or can get it. I have it for middle school.

5. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

I was in the same boat as you 6 years ago. I was an outside salesmen looking to switch careers and become a history teacher. My sales training was a huge asset. I found out that my cold calling skills were very important. I was able to contact and meet lots of principals because I was so willing to go to schools all summer and knock on doors. I was also very willing to make phone calls. I did hundreds of cold calls a day for years, calling a dozen schools a day was cake.

When you do get a chance to speak to a decision maker, stress your real world business skills. Social Studies is a highly saturated field, but I was always able to separate myself from the pack by describing how my real world business experience would be useful to students in understanding how the world works. Sell your experience, its a huge bonus when compared to the lack of experience a recent college grad would have.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2015

Focus heavily on your ability to engage others in what you are "selling." I feel like a huge part of what I do is sales and marketing with my kids. If you convince them they want the product they'll give you anything (see Apple). If you can convince kids they want to learn history you're way ahead of most other history teachers who frankly don't even try.