Salary with Stipend for Benefits

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by bdteach, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Obviously, I will ask this question of my employer tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone knows...

When I responded to the listing for this job, it stated the starting salary was X. Now that I've been hired, I learned that we do not get a benefits package, but rather a stipend to cover benefits. However, because it is part of our paycheck, we pay taxes on it.

Anyone know if that stipend is then included in the starting salary of "X", or if it will be more. It makes a pretty big difference, needless to say.

Thanks!

PS - I noticed another thread that touches on this in this forum, but I think I'm still unclear, so thanks again for any thoughts.

3. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 17, 2007

I have a friend who teaches in a district, similar, but not quite.. Thier salary is higher (starting at 53K0, but that is because they do not get benefits... I guess a few years ago, that is what their union wanted.

4. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Hmm, I know we don't have a union.

I guess my fear is the starting salary is the starting salary, and that includes the stipend for benefits...

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks.

5. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Yeah... i wouldnt mind so much if your salary is higher, like that district,. but if its a stipend....well...I dont know if I would like it much. Benefits are imp and CA has a high cost of living as it is. How much is the stipend?

6. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jun 25, 2007

I don't know yet. I'm still waiting to hear. I did call after our discussion here, and they said they would know more by July 1. Guess I'll find out all the details next week!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

Did you check to see if the salary schedule is posted online? It might have a footnote explaining the stipend part.

I'm not sure that I'd be willing to take a job with no benefits. Even though I don't make a lot of cizzash, I do have excellent health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.

8. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 25, 2007

I know that there are a couple of districts that do that here..they increase your pay y $6000; I don't olike it, but unfortunately, some of these districts are ones I really like too.