Salary Schedules

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by jen12, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 11, 2008

Can someone give me some assistance on what I'm sure is a silly question?

I'm trying to figure out how to read the salary schedules for the local school districts in Orange County, CA.

They all show vertical columns across the top showing BA, BA+15, BA+30, etc. I'm not sure where the credential fits in. Are the credential courses counted within the +15, +30 unit counts or is it assumed that you'll have a credential and the units are post credential units?

:confused:

3. Graduating '08!

Graduating '08! Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

BA alone is Bachleors degree, which I'm not sure if California considers 'credential'. In MD you must have a Bachelors and certification..and this kind of column set up assumes that you have a certificate in addition to the degrees and credits mentioned.

BA+15 is a Bachelors degree with 15 credits towards a Masters....etc...

Does that makes more sense?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2008

It's assumed you have the credential- how else would you be employed...so BA is employed,(credentialed) with a bachelors degree, The BA +15 is 15 additional credits (usually graduate or inservice) beyond that...and so on...:blush:

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 12, 2008

In my area of so cal a BA is just that, and the credential is usually BA+30.

6. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Jan 13, 2008

I've actually had the same question myself. Most of the school districts schedules in my area start out at BA then go to BA+15, but there is one that starts at BA+30, so it's a bit confusing.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 2, 2008

I am confused by these darn schedules, too. I am in a credential program that works on terms, four 15 week terms per year for 10 "units" each. So when I finish my credential, I'll have 40 "term" units, but the schedules all list Quarter or Semester Units.

I will just be happy to have a job when I get one, and will be "surprised" by my salary, I guess. Hahaha!