Salary schedule

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miz_Aich, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

I haven't yet gotten a contract for my new job (new school district), but I have seen the salary schedule and I know what I should be making. However, at the new employee orientation another teacher said that she was disappointed she had to start over at step 1. I asked her about this and she said that the HR manager told her that the district doesn't pay steps for experience in other districts. Now I'm confused - are there districts that actually do this? I was going to ask before we left, but both the Superintendent and HR manager were gone by the time orientation was over. So, my question is whether any of you have ever worked in a (public) school district that only advances steps for experience in their own district? Can the district even DO that?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

I haven't heard of a district that doesn't accept any experience for placement on their salary schedule but it seems fairly common here to start lower than where you think you should be. But remember 3 years experience doesn't really mean step 3. Some years, nobody advances - at least in my district.

4. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Aug 4, 2010

I know many districts that will not give you experience for other districts. So even if you have 15 years experience in another district, when you come to our district, you start right out at step ONE.

5. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 4, 2010

In my (somewhat limited) experience, a lot of districts will pay for "up to X years of experience" in another district. But I guess it depends on the district. You're sure not going to get many experienced teachers applying to teach in a district where they're basically starting from scratch, but maybe that's what they want to keep payroll down :unsure:

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Many districts in my area do not count all of your experience. It is part of the "negotiations" that you have when you are hired.

7. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

Ok - thanks for the feedback. I flat out asked when I was offered the job what the salary would be and was show a copy of the salary schedule and told, "You should be making $XXXXX" your first year." I just didn't know whether I should tell her that she should be making more than they told her. Thanks again!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

Sometimes it's negotiable...sometimes it's delineated in the contract (for instance they couldn't give Teacher A credit for her years in district X and not give Teacher B credit for his years in district X)....Many districts will not give credit for years in private or charter schools...It kind of depends. I'm somewhat surprised however that you are at orientation and don't yet know what your contracted salary is...seems like when the job offer was made, they should have let you know definitively what you would be making.