Salary Requirement?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Jul 12, 2013.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

Question,

What do you say when you get an email from HR saying that you've been advanced to the next step in the hiring process, however, in order to move forward, you have to provide your salary requirements?

Basically, I feel like my response determines A) whether I have a chance at this job and B) whether I sell myself short or not!

If I say an amount that's low, maybe they'll move me forward, but I wouldn't get the amount that I am entitled to?

If I say an amount that's high, maybe they will can me before I get to move forward?

This is for an administrator position and I am already currently employed as a teacher (not in this district). So, please no comments about "not doing this for the money" (which I clearly am not because I am employed as a teacher), but did just spend a great amount of money getting my administrator credential and know what most administration positions pay...

I googled the district plus the title of the position and the average pay came out to be $40,000. That would be a pay CUT for me going from teacher to administrator. That can't be right! But, now I'm scared to put a high number for fear that I'd be cut before I can even move forward.

Any ideas on how to approach this? I just want to do the right thing. I would really love this job, but also have to take care of my family.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2013

Can you put 'flexible'?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

Just "flexible" or put a number with "flexible?"

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2013

It's been a while, but I have written just 'flexible'.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

I think they're trying to avoid going further in the process with candidates who wouldn't even consider their salary.

So I am not sure if that would do it? A good thought though.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2013

Is it a public school district? Could you ask to be placed on the appropriate step for your years of experience?

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 12, 2013

Yeah, they're also trying to figure out what is the least amount that they can pay you so they can offer you that.

I would put down flexible too. If they try to pin you down to a number, I would come up with what you're really willing to accept and say that. You don't want to say something that will get you the job but won't be enough to live on.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 12, 2013

Wow! $40,000 for an admin sound really low. Is this a public school district?

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

It's not a public school. But it still seems low?

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

I found the "average salary" on one of those glassdoor type websites.... I'm hoping its a teacher salary or similar mixup? But still in the original dilemma!

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2013

Seems like it would make sense to say, our salary range is $xx-$xx, based on qualifications and experience. If this range does not meet your needs please do not continue with the interview process. Or something!