Salary question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

My state (Oklahoma) has a minimum salary schedule. I'm on year 6 right now. If I were to go to another district, would I keep my pay scale? Or is it just on a district basis? Like would I start at zero years experience if I went to a new school? Hope all that made sense. Resume and stuff going in the mail Monday. :eek:

I think everything laterals over, but wasn't sure. What about sick days? Do those roll over to another district?

TIA,

Beth

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

Some districts will give you credit for all your years of experience from your past district(s), some will only give you a portion of these years or they start you on a certain step in their pay-scale regardless of how many years you have. I have not heard of any districts making you start back at 0, but I'm sure this happens. This would be the FIRST question I would ask if I applied to new a district: what will my salary be? :lol:

I'm sure sick days do not roll over because those are district based, but, of course, your pension should remain in tact.

4. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

The "lol" face means you're kidding, right? I'm not sure, so I figured I'd ask.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 25, 2014

Based on what I heard most districts will honor your years of experience, but it's more of a problem if you have close to or more than 10 years. I've heard teachers saying the new district wanted to give them 10 years for 15 years of experience and they turned them down. I don't know, maybe it can be negotiated?

It would be the same thing with education credits. My district will count my Spanish classes at the community college (I'm taking Spanish 1 now), but others might not honor it, since usually it has to be teaching related and at the graduate / undergraduate level.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

No, I'm dead serious. I would never apply to a district without first reviewing their salary scales and how my years of experience would transfer over (unless I was desperate for a job). To me, that's only common sense.

7. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

Yikes. Are you sure the first impression want them to have of you is of someone who is first concerned with compensation? It would certainly seem to imply that this is your first priority when weighing employment opportunities.

I'm told all the time here that teachers do what they do despite the money, which is why performance evaluations and differentiated pay based on ability "will never work." At least one other person is willing to admit that compensation is relevant to teachers and may influence their choices.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

I just had the brilliant idea (lol) to e-mail OEA. That's what I pay my does for! Yeah, I need to find out. I could handle a little less pay, but not much. I feel kind of weird asking that question during an interview (if I get one), but hey, it's life. :blush: Hopefully, they do the "so, do you have any questions for us?" thing at the end of the interview. I'll kind of slide it in the middle of my questions so it won't be the first one I throw out there and it won't the the last one to remember me by, lol.

Beth

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I am not talking about asking this at an actual face-to-face interview. That doesn't even make any sense because the person interviewing me (Admin) do not make any salary decisions. Before I even apply to a new district, I would go online to get their salary scale and then I would call the district's Human Capital office to find out about how years transfer over. I would do all of this before I filled out an application.

I have yet to meet anyone who would work for free; that's why I don't volunteer as a teacher and its not a hobby - I do it because I have bills to pay. So yes, compensation is very important to me and dictates where I work. But, to your point, more money would not make me work harder or make me a better teacher - it would only make me happier.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 25, 2014

Around here, districts often state what they will give credit for in the posting. "Up to 10 years credit accepted," etc. I'm in the same state as Linguist, so yes, 10-15 years is kind of the norm here. I've gotta get settled down by then. ;)

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I would not ask at an interview when you are talking to your potential Admin. I would call the district's Human Capital office or go visit the BofEd in person and ask about this stuff.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

Well, that's not an option here. It's small, rural district where there isn't a Human Capital office. There's a BOE office, where the super is located, which is located in the high school. If I called and asked how many years transfer over, I'm 99.9% sure they'd transfer me to talk to the super, and that'd kind of be the same thing as asking during the interview. I know their salary scale is the same as ours, the one the state outlines for public schools. Around here, the superintendents make recommendations to the school board, who usually approves it. So, he'd sort of be the one who makes the decision.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 25, 2014

I have no idea how it works in OK, but in NJ, it's up to the individual district. My current district might give you some credit, but probably not full. My previous district started everyone at Step 1, regardless of experience. So...nothing rolls over. Each district has its own salary scale, policies, and might as well be in their own country.

Good luck, though. I agree with Go Blue, that you might want to make an anonymous phone call to HR.

14. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

We'll assume that money, indeed, makes you happy (a debatable point, but not the point here): do you believe that a happier teacher is a better teacher? If not, why?

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

There is no HR. Like I said, I'm 99.9% sure that I'd call, the secretary would answer, have no clue what I'm talking about, and transfer me to the super who'd be like, "Why am I getting a call about this when we don't have any concrete openings yet?" The only people who work at the board at this school is the secretary, payroll and insurance person, and the super.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 25, 2014

Sorry, I missed that post. In that case, I hope someone in the know about OK answers you here.

Or, perhaps there's a teacher in your school who transferred from another and is someone you feel comfortable confiding in?

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 25, 2014

The payroll person would probably know. Is Oklahoma a collective bargaining state? If so, you can probably find the contract online. If you're really concerned about making a bad impression, have a friend call for you to ask.

Either way, definitely ask before an interview, not during.

Oh, and I'd never apply to a job without knowing approximately what my salary would be, and I find it difficult to imagine that I'm unusual in that regard.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

I know a couple of teachers who went out there from our district last year, but they kind of have loose lips.

19. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

No clue. No schools are unionized in my part of the state.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I guess it depends on why the teacher is happier. If the teacher is only happier because they are making more money; then I say no, their happiness will (probably) not make them a better teacher. Honestly, my increased happiness over more pay would not translate to the classroom because the extra money will do nothing to improve the frustrations I deal with at work. Now, that does not mean I don't want more money or that my co-workers (not necessarily myself) deserve more money.

On the flip side, I'm sure if I left Baltimore and taught in the suburbs, I would be much happier in the classroom but I don't think being happier would make me a better teacher. I'm sure that I would appear to be a better teacher if I taught somewhere else, but I TRULY believe that would have to do with the type of students I would now be teaching. I'm sure I would have more quantitative results to show for my efforts if I taught in another district.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2014

Hey Bella! If nothing else I'd just email with an anonymous account and ask. Doesn't everyone have one of those? :whistle:

22. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

Lol, that is a thought!!! I just sent my cousin a text because she teaches out there. Yes, I'm an idiot and I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. :blush: It's been a long week and I'm trying to juggle this issue, cleaning house, and a toddler running around undoing 90% of my process. :rolleyes: My brain is tired, lol.

23. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

Cousin texted me back and said they started her with full credit for years taught. She had been teaching about 5 years, I think, when she came here. She thought it was a state law type thing but wasn't sure. Phew. Guess that resume can go ahead and go out Monday. :)

24. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 25, 2014

I know I am in a different state but when I transferred districts I got credit for my years of experience and my unused sick days transferred over.

25. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

The superintendent makes the decision as to what step you begin on in my district. So calling the district office won't help. When I started at my current job I had 8 years experience. I was placed on step 4.

26. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

Then I would wait and ask at the interview. It doesn't have to be the first question you ask, but there's nothing wrong with saying, "I'm really excited about the prospect of starting in this district, I'm wondering how will my years of experience transfer from my current district to this district?" It's a valid question.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 25, 2014

My district only accepts 3 years of prior service regardless of how many you bring in. That being said, I'm camped for life. If you're going to move, you almost have to do it before you hit 5-10 years.

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 25, 2014

I went to a new district on step 19 and got credit for all of my years. It's pretty much a given here that you get credit for all of your public school years. Unused state leave moves with us.

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2014

My district only gives 5 years experience, no matter how many you bring in. It's been a real issue - people get hired over the summer, find out they're only getting credit for 5 years, then quit before the beginning of school.