Salary question?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, Jul 29, 2012.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

All of the applications I have submitted so far have been electronic apps and none have asked me about salary. I am in the process of completing a paper application now, and there is a question that asks salary/rate of pay expected. In my state, I have seen salaries for new teachers start anywhere from $25,000 to $41,000. I searched the school's website and did a general search on the web for this school's pay scale, and I can't find one. What should I put as a response?

3. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Some people may say that the goal would be to shoot higher so that the school doesn't try to pay the lowest amount possible. I would put what I would need to be able to feel comfortable accepting the job. It would depend on how bad I wanted that particular job at that school. If it were my dream job, I would put the lowest amount that would still allow me to pay my bills as my minimum. If I could take or leave the job, I would put an amount higher than my minimum. It would just matter how badly I wanted the position. That's just me though. Good luck!!!! I hope you get the job :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

In public schools, salaries are pretty much set by union contact.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

Is this a public school? All of our salaries for the entire district are set in our contract. When you're hired, you're placed on a specific step based on your prior teaching experience. Everyone on a particular step has the same salary. If that's not the case where you are, maybe you can put "Negotiable" in the space for the salary and then discuss it with them after you've been offered a position?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

Or, will it allow a range? I'd put something like $32,000-36,000 which is in the middle(ish) of the range you provided.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 29, 2012

I'd just write scale because as czacza said, they are mandated by contract. Even catholic schools in our area have salary schedules they follow.

8. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

You can write a scale, or write "negotiable".

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 29, 2012

As others have noted, "negotiable" is the way to go, although maybe if it's a private school, a range would prevent wasted time. I was going to interview at a private school until I figured out they only offer 33k, 20k less than really any public school in the area so I decided not to waste their time.

10. missml

missml Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Yes, this is a public school, and knowing that schools in my state have a set pay scale for their district is why I am confused as to why they even ask the question. This isn't my dream job, but at this point, I just want my own classroom in the fall. Thanks for all of your help!

11. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 29, 2012

Well, if it's a public school, then it doesn't really matter. I'm guessing maybe they used a template or something to create the application document.

12. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

My company uses it as a quick way to weed out applicants. Put a salary in that's too high, and you're automatically knocked out of contention. They figure if you're looking for way above what the job pays, you won't stay long. Can't say that's always accurate, but...it's what they do.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Since it's a public school, write "Scale" for sure. :)

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

Sometimes they won't let you use anything but a numerical value in the field. If that is the case, I would try to find out what that district pays. If you know any teachers, they can log into the union's website and look up any district's salary schedule.

HTH. I know such applications can be so frustrating!

15. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 1, 2012

Thank you all for your help! I ended up putting "per pay scale" as my answer, and I got a call today to go in for an interview on Friday! She said we will discuss the salary during the interview, which I have never had happen in the 4 different interviews I had earlier in the summer.

16. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

Except for here in the south where there are no unions. :unsure:

I know in SC your salary is based on the amount of education you have and years of experience. It is really easy to read the way it is set up. It does vary district to district but they are lose in range. There is no negotiation of salary though. It's already preset.