Salary Question - Two BA's

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JohnWA75, May 11, 2021.

1. JohnWA75

JohnWA75 New Member

May 11, 2021

Hello - I have two BA degrees.

My first degree completed was a BA English at one university and then I got my second degree, a BA Education at another university.

I was hired to a school and they put me under the BA+45 salary schedule.

I recently finished my MA and I thought I would move to MA+45 but they are saying that only classes completed above a degree count towards the +. However, if that was the case then I'm wondering why my first (non-education) degree counted as +45 when I was hired?

I'm just wondering how this is handled in other districts if you have multiple BA's or MA's.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2021

I’d say you are lucky you got it with the first BA degrees.

DH has a degree in computer science and a degree in math. He did not get anything additional for the two degrees. He only got a pay raise with his MAT.

waterfall, a2z and miss-m like this.
  4. JohnWA75

JohnWA75 New Member

May 12, 2021

Thank you for the info! It’s all very confusing. Crazy that someone with multiple degrees in teaching related fields would be paid the same as someone with one degree.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 12, 2021

I agree that you got lucky the first time. In my district no credits count for those + columns unless they are graduate level courses. If you were in my district you would have only gotten credit for the BA originally, and then it would be just the MA column upon completion of that degree.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 12, 2021

I would agree that you were very lucky that you have been paid at BA+45 since hire, since the second bachelor's degree was not graduate level course work. I had a BS degree, an additional 30 undergrad credits, and 27 graduate credits for my first job, and I was rated Bachelor's degree +15, since those credits only seem to count in multiples of 15 and only the graduate credits affected my rate of pay. I completed my Master's in TESOL, and my payscale went to MA +15. Then I earned my endorsement to teach special ed, and it became MA + 45. The only way that I could effectively move up the pay scale now would be to finish the SPED endorsement as a PhD. I just don't have the energy for that, but if younger, with a long career in front of me, I might would have considered that.

7. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

May 12, 2021

I wonder what state your pay scale is applied this. What does 15, 45 mean? I am sorry I am not quite familar with this.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 13, 2021

The + and then the numbers indicates how many graduate credits you have beyond your undergraduate (general university, standard issue) degree. The pay scale bump tends to be measured in 15 credit units, so BA +15 would mean you have earned between 15-29 graduate school credits. At 30 credits, one normally acquires a master's degree, although some people take graduate courses without ever earning a master's. If your graduate credits do not lead to a MA, then you would be BA+30 instead of showing a master's degree. Upon acquiring the master's, I still had the other 27 graduate credits, so I became MA +15. When I completed my TOSD certification, those 21 credits, plus the 27 credits I started with gave me the final tally of MA + 45. Should I take 12 more graduate credit hours, I would become MA +60. Before I did that, however, I would finish a PhD. in special education, if I had the time or energy. Normally, when a teacher gets to this level on the pay scale, they are looking to move into admin in some way shape or form. If I earned the doctorate, I would be looking for a job with a child study team, for instance, no longer in the classroom. Hope that helps.