Salary Info Question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rtphillips, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

My wife and I are new elementary teachers, about to attend a job fair in Pittsburgh in March. We've been researching the various school districts that will attend to choose which ones are our top priority to visit, and as part of that, we've been looking at their salary info on the districts' websites. We've noticed that most states' districts (MD, VA, WV, NC to name a few) will display their teacher salaries, but some won't (PA).

Just wondering if each state has rules about displaying teacher salaries on their district websites, or if it's just coincidence that the ones we've looked at are that way. Also, is there a way to find out about those districts in PA that we can't find starting teacher salary info about? Thanks for any help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2012

I'm not sure if this is true for every state, but because we are state employees, our salary information is public knowledge.

I know that we post some salary information on our state testing information. You might look there to get an idea of salary.

4. ayla

ayla Companion

Feb 28, 2012

You could also look for school board meeting minutes... I know for my home PA district a lot of salaries are posted there (ie. when someone gets an increase or is a new hire).

5. springmac

springmac Companion

Feb 29, 2012

Pa salaries

Check this site:

php.app.com

It lists salaries by district. It's a few years old, but you can get an idea.

I actually just moved out of state from Pittsburgh. My husband was transferred. To be honest, jobs are VERY hard to find there, in any district. I looked for three years, but was only ever able to find long term subbing jobs.

If you need any info on districts, feel free to send me a message. Good luck to both of you!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2012

States do their salaries differently. In North Carolina, we all make the same salary no matter what district you teach in. The only exception is that some districts offer a supplement.
    Other states can vary greatly from district to district. It is that way in Michigan. There is no way for the state to release that information.

7. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

Those sound like state to go teach in a rural area (and yes I do rural). As I recall KS does the same basic thing.