salary concerns

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by cnobert, Dec 17, 2008.

1. cnobert

cnobert New Member

Dec 17, 2008

I'm an aspiring teacher who's considering enrolling in the AMI certification/M.Ed program with Loyola College this fall at the Washington Montessori Institute. I stumbled across Montessori a few months ago and have been reading everything about it that I can get my hands on - right now I'm reading The Absorbent Mind and loving it. I find the material really resonating with me and it has even influenced my plans to pursue a career in education from mainstream to Montessori education. Although I've never experienced Montessori myself (as a student, classroom assistant or even as a parent) I think I'd really enjoy it. I recently volunteered in a kindergarten classroom that utilized Montessori methods and this reinforced my decision.

The one thing that is holding me back from pursuing this path is the concern over the low salary. Of course, I'm not into teaching to get rich. But I am a single, (young) twenty-something for whom paying the rent is still a bit of a concern. I know that salaries can vary widely between different regions but I'd love to hear some honest opinions about this from other Montessori teachers, especially those who have similar situations as me. Should I go forward and not let the money concerns hold me back? What are the real advantages to getting the M.Ed - can I expect any boost in my salary? Is the extra money invested worth it?

Many thanks for chiming in!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

If you live in an area where there are public Montessori schools, the M.Ed. will definitely make a difference. Most public schools provide a pay differential for people with masters degrees.

I have been teaching in a private school for 22 years. I love it and wouldn't change a thing. I do, however think that overall salaries have gotten better since I started teaching. It's true that most private schools have lower salaries than public schools, but in MY opinion (and this is only my own opinion and not intended to inflame anyone at all) sometimes the pay differential is worth it to teach in a private school. I have been in a public school setting (Montessori) since it's very prevalent here but I don't think I'd ever do it again. There are lots of things that you have to deal with in public schools that you don't have to deal with in a private school. TEsting is the biggest one.

I think if you've discovered a love for Montessori Education, you should go for it. Should you decide to end up teaching in a traditional setting, you can still use much of what you've learned with the children with whom you're working.

My father always used to say that the only thing no one can ever take away from you is your education. I whole heartedly believe it. You can never go wrong with furthering your education.

Good luck!

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

My mom used to say the same thing to me! If you can get a job in the public montessori schools then the salary and the benefits will be better than a private school. I have friends that work in the public schools and the expectations are different. A teacher in the public school shared with me that the Practical life and sensorial areas of the classroom rarely get touched by the students. She has to make sure that the kids are meeting the standards set by the state.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2008

And isn't that a shame? It drives me crazy when I go into 3-6 classrooms and there's practically no Practical Life and art is fairly non-existent. They're soooooo important!

6. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Hi Cnobert
    I have the AMI diploma also with the MA from Loyola. The MA will definitely raise your salary level, but as you are finding out, you won't start very high in the first place. Public school Montessori definitely starts at higher pay scale and has more job security, better health and retirement benefits but you will have to fight not to compromise Montessori values.
    The training is an amazing experience, if Montessori philosophy is really resonating with you, you will find that is a deep and inspiring career path. As I go into my 11th year, I am understanding this philosophy at deeper levels still.
    The Loyola program is top-notch.
    Good luck!