Salary and benefits - Ny teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ST13, May 15, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

May 15, 2015

Hello, I have been offered a Pre-k position at a private school I have been working at part time for almost 8 years.

A little about me, I am certified from birth to 6th grade in general Ed and just finished my masters degree in special Ed 1-6 grade. I have been subbing for three years.

I am just curious as to what the logistics of benefits and salary for a pre-k position would be. Ive been applying to jobs for about 3 years and even though I have experience subbing, unfortunately schools want experience with lesson planning which I don't have.

This isn't a job I would keep forever, but I think it really would help me in interviews and give me that first year experience.

However, I would definitely need to negotiate salary. The pay at this school in general is low, I know I'm not going to be making a lot but I want to make sure that I'm making enough.

So in general if you are comfortable sharing, how much do you make as a Pre-k teacher? Also, what are your health benefits like? This school doesn't give benefits to everyone but I made it clear I need benefits... I just don't want to get jipped in the long run.

Basically I am just curious what I should look for generally when talking and negotiating with my boss. I don't want to be taken advantage of just because I'm inexperienced and young.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

May 15, 2015

I teach preschool, but I'm in a public school. I make $45,000/year. Most private pre-k teachers in my city make around $25-30,000/year, but NY might pay differently :)

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

May 18, 2015

This varies WIDELY! Some places pay as low as $9-$10 hour. I myself, as a lead teacher with a masters, am making $16.83 currently, with both cost of living and performance raises annually. This is in Oregon.

5. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 4, 2015

preschool teachers here in the private setting (churches mostly) make about $9 an hour. But there are preschool teachers that are paid by the county, and they get regular teacher pay, with 0 years exp it's like $37k bach & with a master's 0 years exp it's about $43k There is no negotiating a district job of course

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

Most recently, I made 27-28k as a Pre-K teacher in a private school.

7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 12, 2015

11 years under my belt ~ under 16K a year.