Salad Spinner

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by keep_smiling, Jul 9, 2008.

1. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I read in a different post that someone wants a salad spinner for art projects. I have one that even has a nice big knob on it for the kids to grasp. They really have trouble spinning it fast enough for it to do anything cool.

Do any of you use salad spinners with any luck?

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I've never tried that... but it sounds interesting :)

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

:2cents:I have tried that with the actual spin art gadget - that was great fun. I have tried that with a salad spinner - and like you said you the salad spinner was hard for my pre k's to manage. even harder for my tots.

I had great success in the old days with the record players that would break. I was a kid when i tried it, and got in a lot of trouble until mom gave me an old record player. anyway, i put a paper plate on the middle post and turned it on slowly. Then used a crayon and drew what looked like up a down wave pattern to my hand. when the circle of the record player got it it turned it into concentric circles and sort of tie die.

I have also seen another place, a children's museum I think that took a fan blade (with no current or machine) and attached the spinner to a board so it would spin with a push like a merri go round. then add a circle and use really frest markers or paint and same effect but more inventive looking in that it was a machine part.

I think you can do it with any circle item. It is just what you have on hand, and what your hands can do.

Have fun. Good luck

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Our kindergarten room has a wooden spinner --it is basically a round piece of wood set on a turntable with a magnet that is counter sunk in the center, and has another round piece of wood (about as big around as a quarter) with a magnet on it and you put the paper on the large circle and put the samll circle on it and the magnets hold the paper in place. You spin the large wooden circle remember it's mounted on a turntable of some kind) and use makres or crayons or paint or colored pencils to draw lines etc on it whileit spins. She ordered it from a catalog-- possibly Discount school supply, Lakeshore or S & S

6. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I use a salad spinner pretty successfully with my 2's and 3's, it's from IKEA. The key for me was finding a salad spinner with a flat bottom (not a bowl shape) and no drain holes in it because we use it with really watered down paint and I tried it with one with holes in the bottom in a cake pan...needless to say it didn't work well. :) Here's a shamrock we made for St. Patrick's Day:

[​IMG]