said a "bad word" in class today

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 10, 2012.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Ok my new class is out of control and well this afternoon I said a no-no to one of my kids. I was getting the class to finally be quiet when one of my girls yells across the room. I looked at her and before I could stop myself I told her to shut up. As soon as I said it I knew it was an awful moment and began apologizing. I used it as a teaching moment for the rest of the class but boy do I feel bad. Of course this also happens to be the same little one that on the second day of school mom was emailing me about how I let her little girl get hurt on the playground and why I hadn't informed her of the injury. I had to tell her I had no idea her daughter had gotten hurt on the playground because she never told me. I even had duty that week so it's not like I wasn't on the playground. Anyway I feel bad for saying the "S" word. I did email this parent right after we came back in the pick up. (She doesn't pick her up daughter) This is going to be a long year in my class.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Yikes. I think it's great that you took ownership. You may want to debrief administration on what happened and how you handled it.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 11, 2012

:hugs: Unfortunately our students can push us to that point. I know you feel bad (I would too) but take comfort in knowing that you're not the first teacher and you're not the last to say a "no no" word to a student.

I know we shouldn't say "shut up" but that's not TOO bad. I know teachers who have slipped up and used the other "s" word, the d-word, a-word and one who used the b and a word together to scare one of her toughest kids.:eek:

My 2nd year I told the class to shut up because there was ALWAYS literally at least 2 - 5 people talking at any given time in my classroom. I felt so bad that I left during my lunch break and brought everyone cupcakes. :eek:

Now, I'd probably do like you and make it a teachable moment.

One thing that helps me to hold in my swears is I have a ton of satisfying, kid-friendly "curse" words that I use sparingly, but they get the same point across.

For instance, instead of "sit your butt down in that chair and don't get up again" I say, "your chair looks lonely. Keep it company NOW."

I also will tell the kids, "What you're doing is NOT cute and it's NOT funny." because I've got some who smile all precociously at me like I should think it's the most precious thing in the the world when they misbehave. :rolleyes:
    Again :hugs: it'll be okay.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2012

Here is a likely scenario with the parents at the school where I teach:

Kid: "Dad, the teacher told me to 'shut up' today."

Dad: "Well, you probably shouldn't have been talking. And I sure hope that when the teacher said to 'shut up' that you did."

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2012

I love this!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2012

I love the "your chair is lonely" comment! I'm definitely stealing it. Two years ago, I had a class that literally didn't hear or respond until I did say shut up. Apparently, that's what they heard at home! I hated it - my mom would have slapped me silly for saying it growing up, and I still do not say it, but, as another poster said, it's definitely NOT the worst thing you could have said!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2012

Oh, and my "kid-friendly swear" is "shoot a monkey." I use it in times that I might accidentally say another "sh" word, like when a kiddo steps on my toe, lol.

9. TeacherTori

TeacherTori Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

Yikes. Good job turning it into a teachable moment. It could have been much worse, at least that is a so so word and not a big bad word.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 11, 2012

maybe we should start a thread of kid friendly swears:p my best friend teaches 10th grade and likes to say "son of a biscuit eater" when he's taken off guard. :lol:

11. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

I love coming up with these. Except my friends and family find it hilarious, they become so much of a habit that I can't stop fake-swearing. :D

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

I asked my dad whar an SOB was when I little...he said "son of a biscuit eater". :)

You're human. This shall pass.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 12, 2012

Shut the front door! Say it... You will get it!

14. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 13, 2012

I've had a bit of trouble reigning in my cussing, but my own son copies me so I have no choice. My favorite is "cheese and rice!" or "son of a mother!" Cheese and rice is great when I start to say something offensive to many people because it easily slips into the word 'cheese.' Son of a mother is great because, well, all sons are!

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 14, 2012

I said shut-up to my kids last year, but I meant it jokingly, and I'm pretty sure 100% understood that. I even apologized the next day and said that was an inappropriate joke. That didn't stop a student from using that against me months later when I sent him to the principal's office for defiance or disrespect to attempt to shift attention on to me in front of the principal. And that was only the tip of the iceberg of what I had to deal with from him last year including him lying about me pushing him.

I like all of my students, but that student was a little... I'm not even gonna finish that statement, but you know what I mean. I can honestly say that I'm glad I will never see him again.

Moral of the story, even if you apologize, or you didn't mean it, it can be used against you ALL year.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

As I am sure this is big "news" for your students, I doubt that anyone in class doesn't know. I would make it a teachable moment. Let the class know that for anyone it is very difficult to admit when you do something wrong. The best thing to do when that happens is admit it and apologize. Then say for example "I _____________" and then explain the incident without justifying it. All of your students will make a wrong choice if not many, so this is a great life lesson to show them of what to do when they make a wrongful choice. It is a great time as what you did was small enough that it should be easy for them to forgive.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

:lol: Mine is "sugar muffin." And I do use "son of a biscuit eater"... but that one is usually under my breath and directed to district emails :D

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

I said crap last year. My SmartBoard wasn't working and my P was coming to observe. I was messing with it, trying this and that, and I slipped up and called it a piece of crap. One of my kids said, "Hey, you said crap!" To whom another one of my kids replied, "I've heard you say worse words than that!"

It's okay. ;) Crap happens. :lol:

Beth

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 15, 2012

After school one day I said sh-- in front of 2 of my students and I felt horrible. I was holding one of the giant sized gold fish to show them the fish's body, so they could gentle touch it and see what the scales felt like. Well I didn't realize how strong that big fish would be and he slipped out of my hands and onto of a laptop. (I was cleaning the tank that day so they would have to be moved to a smaller tank anyways- I thought it was a good teachable moment about fish bodies) The word slipped out because I was so surprised and I apologized and told them to please not share that with others- they understood why I accidentally let it slip (they were in 5th grade by then) and knew from class that I would never curse in front of them.

Like Beth said, crap happens. I'm sure that it is not the first time the child had been told to "shut up" and you did apologize. I'm hoping the parents don't give you grief and I think it's great that you emailed home about it instead of waiting for their daughter to tell them.