SAHM Wanting to Return - Expired License - Help! (NH)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. Scarlet, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

I have a masters degree in Political Science. After that I went through a certification program to get my educator license. I did my student teaching, got my license, and then I became pregnant with my first child and decided to stay home with him. I now have two children and my license expired last year (New Hampshire).

I know I need to come up with some professional development credits to renew my license. And that's well and good. But even prior to the expiration of my license, I have had zero luck in the application process. I wouldn't even get called for interviews.

I don't have relevant work experience so my letters of recommendation are out of date and not super relevant.

Where do I start? What do I do? I've been trying to think about networking opportunities, maybe tutoring... ?? I've just been so dismally unsuccessful that I'm wondering if I should put all the effort into making another go at it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Sep 13, 2016

I would try to apply for Instructional positions at the middle or high (I'm assuming you would like to work with older kids). Also, doing subtitute teaching gives you a good experience.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

I'll guess that you were looking for work five years ago, Ms. Scarlet. At that point, the teacher job markets in the various states were pretty universally hideous. Whether the market in New Hampshire is still bad, I don't know, but there's been a decided uptick in hiring in most states. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Substitute teaching, as anna9868 has suggested, can work well for getting your foot in the door, especially if New Hampshire doesn't require fully valid licenses of its substitutes. You could also try private schools, since generally they're not (as) bound by state law when it comes to licensure.

For the professional development hours, you might check to see what the rules are; it might be that free or inexpensive online coursework would do the job for you. If it does, I would expect the state association of teachers of social science to have some links.

MsAbeja likes this.
  5. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Thanks for the replies. Subbing is out. I did it before I had kids, but I can't do it now. My kids are 3 and 1 so either they're in daycare or they're not. I can't wait until 5am the day of to decide if they go or not. And we moved far away from family for my husband's job so no help there.

I am encouraged to hear that the job market is looking better. When I finished my student teaching the school I was placed with really seemed to like me and said if they had a position open they would hire me in a heartbeat. So after I had my son, I get a call that they had a position open. I was ecstatic. I went through the formalities of submitting an application, interviewing, doing a sample lesson, etc. I was informed that they had 300 applicants and they ultimately hired a PhD. Talk about discouraging. What chance do I have anywhere else, right?

I will take these suggestions to heart. Thanks for responding.

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Sep 14, 2016

Is there enough of a need for subs where you are that you could pretty safely put the kids in daycare a day (or more) per week and feel assured you'd be able to pick up a job that day? Here, there are a surplus of sub openings on any given day...

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2016

I would have suggestions similar to phillyteacher, but don't know much at all about NH schools. I do think it is a valid way to go, however. Many schools don't call subs at 5 AM, but have systems where you choose your assignments ahead of time, giving you some control over your schedule.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 17, 2016

If you subbed for more than one district / private schools / etc., you'd probably be able to find work everyday