Safety Training ft. Columbine Footage

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, Aug 27, 2013.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Aug 27, 2013

poof

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 27, 2013

That's pretty bad. Sorry that happened.

4. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 27, 2013

Our school had excellent active shooter training last year. Very informative, scary but useful. It's too bad they didn't use that opportunity to give you helpful training!

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 27, 2013

That's a shame that the trainer used a fake clip. We just had a PD on what you should do if an active shooter is present in the building. We ran through many scenarios, and a cap gun was even shot off. We were all fairly shaken up by it, but it really helped in helping us feel more prepared.

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 27, 2013

Beats our safety training---reading off of a PowerPoint.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

We had a video a few years ago but we knew it was a scripted, directed film aimed at instructing us about armed intruders.:(

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

The movie, "Bowling for Columbine" has actual footage from the security cameras at Columbine High School in the cafeteria included in it.

9. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Aug 28, 2013

I am a career changer from a branch of law enforcement to education. I've had active shooter training and I can say without a doubt it is the "hardest" training to think about and focus on. I have seen the entire columbine footage and read the important files concerning the case. I have not seen a reenactment of the footage for what it is worth. I do agree with about not passing the footage off as real, and it should have been made known ahead of time. I am guessing the officer probably was given this task and did not get the real footage due to time constraints, funding, etc (giving the benefit of a doubt here). I know the officer that did our training went to columbine and gathered/studied this case and active shooters in general and presented an excellent
    I know that I see these things in a different perspective because I have been on a different side, but it is gut wrenching regardless of how real the video is. Please don’t let the video take away from the importance of the training. Unfortunately we are in a time where all educators/school resource officers/law enforcement need to be trained and have a plan in the event that there is an active shooter at your school.

I wanted to edit (after I re-read your OP) to say I am sorry you didn't get a very good training session from this officer. Also, as scary as this is, the training should not be used as a scare tactic. It should be something that makes you think, makes schools have multiple preparedness plans in place, and allows educators to feel like they have a plan in the event that this occurs at their school. I could go on and on about this topic as I feel strongly about it, but I won't. One final suggestion would be, especially if you felt this important topic was not addressed adequately, letting your principal know and offering to work with the local law enforcement to put a better training/plan in place. Hopefully it would gather dust and never need to be used, but in the event that it is, it could save lives.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

They just had on the news that a local school was doing training. They ran through it and they had 11 fatalities (fake of course) then did it again after some training and only had 1 wounded!! They said to turn out lights, use anything to block the door a stool desk anything, then use things to distract the shooter. In the case they showed they put something in front of door and then a teacher stood to side of door and threw whiffle balls. They said the key is to take mins away from shooter (about 10mins). So by blocking door give the police another min, throwing things to distract shooter another min or so. Police officer said you are first responders. Use a scissors as a knife if need be.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

We've had a similar training. They did show us the entire real videos with the 911 tape. Many teachers were upset they did so but I felt it really emphasized the points they wanted to make. Diznee brings up an excellent point about buying time. That's exactly what we were taught and it does help. Our doors open out but we can still block their way.

I'm sorry your training wasn't as good!

12. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

We've had this training; I also heard about a district putting something 150k into training and retrofitting their school, and I couldn't help but wonder if that was the most wise way to allocate precious educate funding.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

The exact same thing happened to me at a safety PD last winter. It must be a common presentation for police to give to teachers.

I started crying. It was really not the way that I wanted to spend my PD day. I also had trouble sleeping that night :/

14. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

It's a pretty standard appeal to pathos (emotion); I personally find that to be one of the most distasteful ways to convince someone to listen to what you're saying and wish they could find another way to "convince" teachers to pay attention to their little presentation.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

Dave, at least for our presentation, it was not to get us to pay attention. They kept referring back to it and analyzing it to discuss what schools should do instead.

16. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

If it's the same video that we saw, it didn't offer any examples of classroom intruders; instead, it was focused primarily on a library and cafeteria scene, each of which was...less than instructional.

Our trainers kept telling us to keep in mind that we can evacuate or fight back if necessary; however, they didn't really discuss the fact that in most of those situations, classroom teachers have no idea where the armed intruders are located. I do NOT think it's a good idea to try to evacuate through the hallways if I don't know whether I'm walking right into the threat or not.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

We were taught how to evacuate, how to tell how close an intruder may be (our school it's easier to tell because of how we're set up), etc... My room is right next to an exit. I would definitely try to evacuate depending on the full situation. We also learned how to evacuate through windows, specifically when not on the first floor.

Everything can be applied to different situations. The truth is we don't know where we'll be in those situations. It's important to always be aware of how to evacuate from everywhere we may be with or without students. I'm often in the library and computer labs with my students. The video provides an example of what can happen if you try to hide and it doesn't work. That can easily be applied to the classroom. I'm sorry you weren't able to make the connections and apply it. Perhaps our training was much better.

18. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

The video wasn't used as an instructional tool; it was used as a rhetorical tool. Apparently the training wasn't as good. I also slightly resent the amount of money nearby schools are spending on retrofitting their school buildings in the name of "safety."

19. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Aug 29, 2013

poof

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2013

Gosh, I think there must a better way. Reading all this makes me especially happy that our school has armed police outside, and is walled in. It´s not the easiest school to enter, though I am sure someone with bad intentions always finds a way. Still, I do feel good with the protection we have.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 30, 2013

I do agree that all the money spent at some schools could probably be spent better ways. I do like some things our school is planning though, like adding phones to each room.

22. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

This might be a stretch, but is it possible that the officer didn't know the footage was fake?

23. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Aug 30, 2013

poof