Safety Patrol

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 11, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

First off, I have been racking my brain for something to do at school to earn me a few brownie points. I don't need them (I haven't done anything wrong and I am not in trouble, LOL), but I have a strong desire to outdo others :)rofl:) And, I feel left out- all 3 of the other 5th grade teachers are in charge of something and I feel the need to be in charge of something, too.

So..... I had an epiphany! Safety patrol!!! It also may help with some teacher duties as well (we have afterschool duty all year- maybe with the help of kids we can do a week-on-week-off this year!)

Now the problem is that I was not on the safety patrol as a kid because I rode the bus. I am trying to remember some of the duties and I figured I'd ask for help.

So, what duties does your safety patrol do? So far the only thing I can come up with is holding open doors....

3. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

The safety patrols at our school do the following:
    Open car doors as parents come by in the morning to drop kids off, Patrol hallways during the morning to make sure the kids are where they are supposed to be, hang the flag in the morning and take it down at the end of the day and when it is raining, present the flags at ceremonies... there is more I just went blank though!

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

Monitor the lines at lunch or at the drinking fountain?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

Oohh.... They even open the car doors? We have 2 car lines and 4 teachers at each opening doors (well, assistants in the AM and teachers in the PM). Interesting...

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

What about busses? Walk the kindergarteners out.... Anything else?

7. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Our Safety Patrol also helped in the Media Center, we wanted to give all students a chance to participate.

They even helped some teachers with Bulletin Boards.

Did you know you can get belts and badges from AAA...I tried to find a link...but you have to email a state person.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

Ooohh!!! Thanks! I will check into that!!!!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

I searched. They are like $5 each. I'll have to talk to my principal (well about the whole thing, actually!) Maybe the PTA will buy them.

Kentucky gives them away free :( Not fair!

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

Ours do this plus they help with dismissal. They also do food drives and things like that.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

They monitor the hallways at dismissal. Hang the flag and then take the flag down. Sometimes they will run a fundraiser for a cause during lunch and recess.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

Our safety patrol monitors two crosswalks near the school. We have a lot of walkers, and the safety patrol is at two major intersections before and after school to help kids cross safely. While we do have a teacher "run" this, overall it is monitored by the Safety Department of our local police department.

13. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Giraffe326 - How will you approach your principal with this? I'm asking because I think this would be GREAT for our school. They had this program at the last school I worked at and it was wonderful.

http://www.aaa.biz/AAACampus/Files/safety-patrol/SSP_Catalog.pdf

Here's a link I found for information on Safety Patrol Stuff :)

14. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

Stand outside busses holding the bus number. Stand in halls and at key locations outside reminding students to walk.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

At my son's school there are safeties at each set of doors, making sure that no one comes in early. There are safeties at several of the intersections close to school. They are there both before & after school. They have safeties walk the kinders to & from the doors to the classroom. They each have a belt & raincoats. During the winter months PTA makes them hot chocolate in the mornings & they usually have an end-of year field trip. That's what are safety patrol does.

To be a safety, I think, you have to be in at least 4th grade & you apply. It might be 5th grade, I don't remember.

These other positions they ask the kids to do.

The flag are done by the "flag boys". Usually at least 1 of the 2 is a Boy Scout.

They have lunch monitors who help the lunch moms pick up trash. They get a free lunch.

They also have teacher helpers who help the 1st grade teachers during lunch.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Since I won't see her for a few weeks, I will just send her an e-mail stating what I was thinking. Prior to her arrival at our school (last year and I was new, too), there were very few activities. She has pushed for things to be started and all the 4th and 5th grade teachers have done something except for me and 1 other (we were both 1st year last year and the others were all approached. I think she did not want to overwhelm us more than we already are).
    She will love that I am taking initiative.

In a day or 2, I am going to type up an e-mail about it.
    I will include things like possible jobs, that it would be for 5th grade, they will have to apply and maybe even send her a sample permission slip.

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

You will want to be sure to have consequences for behavioral issues. I supervised this at my old school and since we only had a part time principal, I was the judge and jury. I heard all the complaints and issued the punishments. Sometimes the patrol member was the one who made a poor choice so you need consequences for that too. We had a patrol leader - he was the only one who reported to me.
    My kids' school had guards at the corners, guards who helped K's when they arrived at midday, and guards who watched the playground before school started. In the winter, PTA served them hot chocolate on Friday mornings. In the spring they went to the Shrine circus. Shriners want to send schools to the circus but because it doesn't match a standard, most schools don't go. They'll probably give you free tickets. Go for it!