Safe Schools Training

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 10, 2016.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 10, 2016

I've been handed a bunch of these modules at my new school. My first thought was to run through them but realized that would be too depressing. Who else uses Safe Schools for training? What are your thoughts on them?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 10, 2016

My new district uses Safe Schools. Honestly, it seemed fairly standard to me. The modules weren't all that different from the online trainings that I had to complete in a previous district, nor were they different than the trainings that I had to complete to work a part-time summer job at the YMCA. I guess I'm pretty jaded at this point, so I don't really about them as anything more than a box to check at the beginning of the school year. I usually let them run in the background while I do other things on my computer, around the house, or in the classroom. Then I go take the quiz when the video ends.

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 10, 2016

While I agree " I don't really about them as anything more than a box to check at the beginning of the school year", still it's one more nuisance during personal time. Originally, the justification was that we won't have to endure all this extra time after school in doing this training but soon, our after school time for planning was taken over by micromanaging or perhaps making sure we stayed till contract says -- but in any case had/is unproductive time spend at teacher expense. Then there's also the mandatory physical training during vacation time (3 days) & also the additional days satisfying continuing content hours requirement as well & on top we have to satisfy many hours of SS training & they keep adding to it.
    Don't see the value other than the district putting the burden on the teacher to cover themselves.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 10, 2016

Where I'm at, it's not the district requiring the trainings, it's the government. It's mandated by law that we engage in these trainings at the beginning of every school year. The district has decided to have us watch many of them online rather than have us sit through a Powerpoint presentation in a meeting.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 11, 2016

My district requires them every year. We have to complete them within the first 30 days of school. Many of them are also district mandated powepoints that we have to review in staff meetings at the beginning of the year as well. Agreed with the above poster, it's just another thing to do at the beginning of the year

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Sep 11, 2016

We have "safe school" meetings after school this week. It's good for me to know these things with the student base.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2016

We went to SafeSchools for mandated training several years ago. Truthfully, I pretty much let it run and then take the quiz- its the same questions every year. Saves time and money for the district.

Teachling likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2016

we generally do them as grade level during contracted morning meeting time. I'm not going to use personal time outside of school for state and district mandated trainings.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2016

See, and for me, I'd prefer to do them at home... I don't want to waste time while I'm in the building watching online videos. Nothing bothers me more than having to sit through a meeting to do something that I could more efficiently do on my own. I want to be getting things done around my classroom while I'm at school so that I can go home. Then, when I get home, I let the video run on low volume (or even muted) while I do things around my house - I'm not at all paying attention to the video, so it's not really a burden to do it outside of contracted time. When the video ends, I take 5 min to answer the quiz questions and turn it off.

czacza likes this.
  11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 11, 2016

same here!

czacza likes this.
  12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 11, 2016

That was my main point in my response. It should be during work time NOT my time.

czacza likes this.
  13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2016

I think teachers should be given time to do them during the contract day - unstructured work time in the classroom. I'm just not going to use that time to watch them. I'd rather use that time in other ways, and then watch the videos at home. I don't want to be forced to watch them at school in a meeting... just my personal preference.

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 11, 2016

We are already forced to watch videos any way at school because of either distrust or government regulations have changed like TELPAS so why not this--

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2016

My state just requires that we watch them. They don't require that we watch them together at school. I'm glad that my district gives us the autonomy to choose when and where to watch them, so long as we get it done by the deadline they give us.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2016

We aren't forced to any specific time. We have a 1/2 hour every morning which is for meetings/prep. Many use this time to run the videos. I get other things done while they run! ;)

bella84 likes this.
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2016

Most of them ARE fairly intuitive, but the one on how to handle an AED required more attention than, say, the module about teacher-on-teacher bullying.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2016

I'll agree with that... but I'll add that, once you've seen it and learned how to use it, it's really no different than the other videos in the following years. Although, I'll admit that I've worked as a trained lifeguard in the past, so I've actually had hands-on training with AEDs. Watching a video on how to use it is completely unnecessary for me. It could be different for those haven't had the same training.