Safe and bully free environment

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by gr8_life, Apr 26, 2006.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Apr 26, 2006

Any tips for enstilling this value w/ your students?

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2006

Lots of luck.

When my son was a 5th grader they had just started a character development program in the school. The purpose was to have the kids show respect for each other, etc, etc.

A few weeks after the program started he and I were at a fair/flea market kind of thing. Walking behind us was a group of about 4 or 5 kids. The one girl looks at my son and says to a boy in her group 'look, that's heavy Kevie. That's what we call him, heavy Kevie. Look how big he is.'

I felt like calling the principal and telling him to stop wasting time on a useless endeavor.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 26, 2006

Kids can be so unbelievably cruel, just to sound cool and fit it.

Try role playing for a day. Color code the kids, anyone with the blue tag is to be treated as inferior to the rest (but set rules for treatment so it does not get out of hand), then have a group activity/discussion at the end of the day to discuss how it felt. Gaining empathy is the goal and can be hard to achieve...you know walk in someone else's shoes for a while.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2006

I'm so sorry this happened to you and to your son. Kids can be cruel. This type of situation is why schools have to employ programs to decrease bullying . Researchers have discovered we need to do more than punish bullies and support victims. We need to intervene on many levels simultaneously. In other words, bullies, victims, peer bystanders, school personnel and parents all have a role to play in preventing and reducing bullying. Schools need to be safe havens for kids where there is no tolerance for bullying behavior. Creating school communities built on mutual respect, tolerance and feelings of connectivity is one goal in decreasing bully behaviors. Unfortunately we can teach tolerance and respect all day long- if it is not reinforced at home it does little. Vitims need to feel empowered, other kids need to be aware of what is going on around them and help stand up to bullies and bullies need some type of interventions themselves. I don't want to agree that it is a useless endeavor- I beleive it is a worthy endeavor even if it makes a difference in the life of one child. I'm sorry that your child wasn't one of the ones in whose life a difference was made by such worthwhile efforts.....

7. alien teacher

alien teacher Rookie

Apr 26, 2006

I am subbing right now so I think I may see this even more so than 'regular' teachers because they always tend to get worse with a sub in the class. I simply refuse to put up with bully/ mean behavior. I've spent time talking to kids about WHY it's important that they be nice to each other, WHY it makes a difference, and HOW it will affect their futures. I agree that the Character Classes don't always help, but they do help the ones that listen and it plants a seed. You can't just throw in the towel.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom